Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NEC V801 Review: Benchmarking A Massive 80-Inch Monitor

Last response: in Reviews comments
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2013 9:49:17 PM

Why would you want an 80" monitor that is only 1080P?
Score
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2013 9:52:50 PM

Yeah, 1920x1080... those pixels are 0.92mm square. That's pretty easy to see with the naked eye; far bigger than a full stop.

27.5ppi... *shudders*.

EDIT:
Quote:
the V801’s size is better expressed in feet: 227.6 (69.37 square meters for the rest of the world)

Ummm... 70 square meters is pretty big. That's about half of the average house. I think you'll find it's ~1.76 m² or 19 ft².
Score
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2013 9:56:45 PM

On the other had I wouldn't mind having that Pioneer "God" TV
Score
a b C Monitor
December 9, 2013 9:57:39 PM

Way to make a home cinema system with an average computer.
Score
December 9, 2013 10:09:07 PM

I wouldn't get such a big monitor/hdtv unless it has a higher than 1080p resolution.
Score
December 9, 2013 10:33:22 PM

Thank you for buying this excessively massive monitor to save the environment.
Score
December 9, 2013 10:50:09 PM

@Someone: Thanks--missed the calculation error during my edit. Should be fixed now.
Score
December 10, 2013 2:32:53 AM

For that size I clicked the article in hopes that maybe it was some 8K monitor. Stopped reading after 1080p
Score
December 10, 2013 5:14:55 AM

A wee bit pricey. I'll stick to my six 40" monitors
Score
December 10, 2013 6:35:57 AM

I've had a Mits 82" DLP since 2011 I paid $1900.00, that is the heart of my media center, so $9400 for just a monitor is a bit much.
Score
December 10, 2013 6:36:23 AM

I've had a Mits 82" DLP since 2011 I paid $1900.00, that is the heart of my media center, so $9400 for just a monitor is a bit much.
Score
December 10, 2013 6:57:56 AM

Be careful with current 4k screens, all of them for 2 reasons.

1) There is no 4K content available from anywhere. The movie studios are pushing to requiring HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k screens before they will release content and all current 4k are not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only HDCP 1.4.

2) Current HDMI specifications only allow for 4k@30 transport which is sufficient for movies, however the native glass in these devices generally do 4k@60 which means the screens are doing some format conversion. True 4k@60 requires HDMI 2.0 which has only just been released and no chips support yet. So these screens are generally not good for video games either
Score
December 10, 2013 7:01:30 AM

Be careful with current 4k screens, all of them for 2 reasons.

1) There is no 4K content available from anywhere. The movie studios are pushing to requiring HDCP 2.2 compliant 4k screens before they will release content and all current 4k are not HDCP 2.2 compliant, only HDCP 1.4.

2) Current HDMI specifications only allow for 4k@30 transport which is sufficient for movies, however the native glass in these devices generally do 4k@60 which means the screens are doing some format conversion. True 4k@60 requires HDMI 2.0 which has only just been released and no chips support yet. So these screens are generally not good for video games either
Score
December 10, 2013 7:32:15 AM

Show me the idiot that spends $10k on a 1080p 80" panel. I bet you can see every single pixel with your naked eye from 6 feet.. What a stupid stupid stupid idea.
Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 7:40:29 AM

LG has a 4K HDTV for $7000 that is 65". Not quite as big but a much better choice. You can also move CLOSER anyway. Of course content is still an issue.
Score
a c 133 C Monitor
December 10, 2013 9:23:14 AM

I'm not sure any of you read the first paragraph:
Quote:
This 80-inch LED/LCD screen is a commercial-grade model that can be used for just about anything requiring a large display. You would most likely see the V801 in an airport, for example, functioning as a dynamic message board or showing news feeds, for example. Obviously nobody's going to set this beast up on their desktop.

This is obviously not meant for personal use. This is not meant to be viewed from up close.
Score
December 10, 2013 10:53:22 AM

I love everyone commenting on "You can see EVERY pixel OMG OMG OMG!" yet you've never owned a large display probably.
I've seen 80 inch TVs in person and these fears are just pathetically sad. I own a 70 inch HDTV as my primary "monitor" and I never go "I NEED 4k!!!!!!"
Why would I even NEED 4K at the moment? HDMI doesn't support it yet, and there is ZERO 4K content. If for gaming, the gaming rig necessary to power such a thing is WAY too expensive, and new cards will scale better with resolution than past cards.

People need to stop commenting (mainly people like chumly), when you've never used such a product before.

My biggest knock is price. If I can get an HDTV for 1/10 the price on some of these black friday/christmas sales, it really makes no sense to get this. I can get that 70-80 inch HDTV for 700-1000 dollars, then pocket the 6k-7k extra and wait for the 4K versions to come out later. Maybe they'll even have OLED 4K by then.
But that being said, this monitor did compete and beat MOST displays in MANY specs. It's a GREAT monitor. But I just think that if I'm going to invest 8k into a tech, it shouldn't be at the end of its lifestyle. I hope they put this type of effort/quality where it competes/beats many HDTVs out on the market onto their 4K model when it is ready.

A monitor this big needs to be reviewed also as an "HDTV" where Movies/TV is watched on it and since that was omitted, I think this is pretty much not too useful to most people who would want a display this big.

I feel like a lot of people commenting didn't read though, and simply posted.
Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 10:55:35 AM

tential said:
I love everyone commenting on "You can see EVERY pixel OMG OMG OMG!" yet you've never owned a large display probably.
I've seen 80 inch TVs in person and these fears are just pathetically sad. I own a 70 inch HDTV as my primary "monitor" and I never go "I NEED 4k!!!!!!"
Why would I even NEED 4K at the moment? HDMI doesn't support it yet, and there is ZERO 4K content. If for gaming, the gaming rig necessary to power such a thing is WAY too expensive, and new cards will scale better with resolution than past cards.

People need to stop commenting (mainly people like chumly), when you've never used such a product before.

My biggest knock is price. If I can get an HDTV for 1/10 the price on some of these black friday/christmas sales, it really makes no sense to get this. I can get that 70-80 inch HDTV for 700-1000 dollars, then pocket the 6k-7k extra and wait for the 4K versions to come out later. Maybe they'll even have OLED 4K by then.
But that being said, this monitor did compete and beat MOST displays in MANY specs. It's a GREAT monitor. But I just think that if I'm going to invest 8k into a tech, it shouldn't be at the end of its lifestyle. I hope they put this type of effort/quality where it competes/beats many HDTVs out on the market onto their 4K model when it is ready.

A monitor this big needs to be reviewed also as an "HDTV" where Movies/TV is watched on it and since that was omitted, I think this is pretty much not too useful to most people who would want a display this big.

We haven't owned 1080P TV's that large for the negative reasons we are talking about, my grandpa owns a 65" and it looks fine if you sit way back but anywhere near it very blurred and distorted due to lack of pixel density
Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 11:54:41 AM

"You would most likely see the V801 in an airport, for example, functioning as a dynamic message board or showing news feeds"

if my airport is buying $10,000 monitors to show me which gate to go to... I'd rather have a discount on my air fare pls...

if someone thinks they need a $10,000 monitor to show TEXT on a black background... well, I odn't know what to say
Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 11:57:04 AM

tential said:

I love how you go into the cost benefit analysis of the whole 4K vs 1080p and the practicality of it... while ignoring the fact that this thing costs $9,400... that's nearly 10 friggin grand. it's sturdy and built to last... now I'd expect there to be 4K content 5 years down the road from now...
Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 12:26:44 PM

Ok, for every one posting about the cost and and resolution needs to calm down and remember this is a comerical product. Your right you shouldn't and wouldn't buy this for person use, normally the cost also cover the warrentee and support which much better than what you would find at your local wallmart.

Also if you look around business like the airport or just other office building those monitors they have up and running probably cost 3x as much as your person setup at home and may not even be 1080p. People either don't know or understand that business is a much different beast than personal. If you read the guide you will see that the monitor conforms to different standards (like dicom) that are required in some industries.

Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 12:35:41 PM

Ok, for every one posting about the cost and and resolution needs to calm down and remember this is a comerical product. Your right you shouldn't and wouldn't buy this for person use, normally the cost also cover the warrentee and support which much better than what you would find at your local wallmart.

Also if you look around business like the airport or just other office building those monitors they have up and running probably cost 3x as much as your person setup at home and may not even be 1080p. People either don't know or understand that business is a much different beast than personal. If you read the guide you will see that the monitor conforms to different standards (like dicom) that are required in some industries.

Score
a b C Monitor
December 10, 2013 12:35:54 PM

Score
December 10, 2013 2:13:07 PM

The moral I get from this article is that lcd still hasn't caught up to plasma.
Score
December 10, 2013 2:25:38 PM

One more thing: you need to test more TV's. Most reviews show current Panasonic and Samsung plasmas now surpassing the old Pioneers.
Score
December 10, 2013 2:55:10 PM

"Obviously nobody's going to set this beast up on their desktop."

Challenge Accepted!
Score
December 10, 2013 3:36:13 PM

1080p at 80" is beyond horrible. There are no words to describe how bad that is unless you are sitting approximately 1/2 mile away from the screen.

And for that price. Wow.
Score
December 11, 2013 5:50:27 AM

tential said:

brenro said:
One more thing: you need to test more TV's. Most reviews show current Panasonic and Samsung plasmas now surpassing the old Pioneers.

I hope everyone checked out page 4 where I commented on several Blu-rays and talked a little about the V801's video processing. This display is as much a TV as it is a monitor and we tried to review it that way.

We currently have a Toshiba HDTV in the lab now and we're working on getting more in for review. We'll continue to use the Pioneer as a comparison screen because it's at hand. If we can get Samsung and Panasonic screens in, we'll include that data in our charts.

-Christian-
Score
December 11, 2013 11:13:22 AM

Am I the only person that saw the cost and went, "Over NINE THOUSAND!"
Score
December 12, 2013 2:35:53 AM

Why some people feel the need to go on about it only being 1080p is beyond me. It's not like it's meant to replace your personal monitor or TV for that matter. The super rich would be able to purchase this and be amazed by the quality of video/movies on a single display without a bunch of tiled monitors and an array of content that is supported at this resolution TODAY. All the 4k snobs should rather keep quiet instead of commenting the same thing time and again when THW reviews a monitor that is not 4K. Go ahead and down-vote my comment :p 
Score
a b C Monitor
December 12, 2013 4:11:16 AM

Umm. No. That's big enough that you can count the sub-pixels with no difficultly, and very jagged edges passed that. To get a decent picture at that pixel density, you're looking at quite a few meters.
Score
December 13, 2013 8:16:43 AM

I would have loved this, but for the lack of different refresh rate support and the slow G2G response. I know quasi-static commercial panels really don't need to worry about responsiveness the way a gaming monitor does, but that would have been an incredible movie/game-room panel without that shortcoming. I have a 100" projection display right now, and at viewing distance (6-12 ft) the pixelation is virtually undetectable. So I have no worries about it being "only" 1080p. And projection has a lot of downsides that this device neatly overcomes. But forcing content to 60 Hz brings its own problems in the HT space that it would be nice to avoid.
Score
December 23, 2013 12:13:42 AM

Kind of overprice for a monitor without a tuner and smart TV inside. Who would want to buy this type of screen display? I just get a 80" HD top of the line HDTV for half the price and it has everything inside. It for suckers!
Score
!