Will this work? router extender with external HDD

chitowncity

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
So I have 2 routers, a netgear WNDR4500 and DIR-655. currently i have my modem connected to the dir and then the wndr downstairs (connected by wan). so there are 3 individual SSIDs (1 from DIR, 2 from WNDR, 2ghz & 5ghz). Also an external HDD is connected to the WNDR. what i want to do is make it so I have two SSIDs (a 2ghz & 5ghz) and my whole house can use the external HDD. so what I'm planning on doing is moving the WNDR upstairs and connected it to the modem and connected the external HDD to the WNDR. the DIR will be connected downstairs through LAN (will turn off DHCP, etc..) and this should extend the 2ghz SSID (DIR is not dual band). hopefully this will extend the external HDD as well. is my line of thinking correct?

thanks

You could also just leave the netgear down stairs, Turn off Wireless on the D-Link, plug the Cat5 into the Lan on the Netgear and turn off DHCP on the netgear. BUT if you want to move the netgear up stairs then yes you are on the right track. Just make sure you plug the cable into the LAN on the downstairs one NOT THE WAN!

chitowncity

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

i am probably going to move the netgear up stairs but what will happen with the dual band? I'm guessing the d-link will just carry over the 2ghz SSID and if u want to connect to the 5ghz u will always have to connect to the netgear right?