Changeing motherboard and useing old hdd

alexanderkrif

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Hello im going to get a new motherboard and a new cpu. I have a hp computer that ive changed a graphics card in and a powersupply in it. im goin to use a 7750 and a 650 watt psu from corsair and 8 gigs of ram (ddr3)

So my question is if i get a new motherboard can i re use the old hdd and dvd disc drive if i get a new copy of windows 7 *(since it is oem)* will my new motherboard be fine with my old hdd and do i have to format the hdd *(please note it has hp recovery on disk d)* ? or can i just put the hdd into my new motherboard and buy a new disc of windows 7 and install and then use my old hdd with my old games on it ? the hdd is sata same with the dvd disc dirve.

please answer im kinda confused i dont know much about motherboards :(

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013
Well since your getting a new motherboard and cpu, and have a OEM version of windows 7....its hard to say what the activation will do....most of the time you can get lucky and use the cd key you've been using. Or it may give you an error and make you call in....but dont worry most of the time you can activate via automated walkthrough just make sure you say you've only installed it on one computer. And the dvd drive will work no issues.

ldewitt

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2013

BUT if you go through the automated activation you can activate it again. Just because you have OEM doesn't mean you can only activate it one time.