Need New PSU + Possibly Graphics Card

Hey guys,

I've been having problems with my current gpu-psu setup (at least that's what I've been lead to believe). I have an ATI HD5770 graphics card and PC-550AUBA-M psu. The problem is a recurring one in which the pc turns off (not 'no power' off - display goes black, doesn't respond to anything). I've been advised to replace one of, if not both, of these pieces of hardware.

Basically I'd appreciate help in choosing what I need to buy. I wouldn't trust myself to build a good pc to save my cats life. If I replace my current gpu with something more powerful do I need to do the same with my psu? Or could I potentially still use my gpu if I got a more powerful psu? I'm unaware of how this stuff works.

Erm, thanks for taking a glance, I'll happily answer any questions, I realise my descriptions can be both rambling and lacking in information.
Cheers!

Edit: Changed title, got it wrong way round :)
2 answers Last reply
More about psu possibly graphics card
  1. Before you start buying stuff, did you test the video card in another system, or test another video card in your? Granted you need a system to test it in, if you don't have anyone you know with a good computer that will run a 5770 you are stuck with just buying a new card to try.

This is a good replacement power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438012 and a Radeon 7770 is a direct replacement for your current card. If you want a faster one, that really depends on your budged and the rest of the system build.

This is a great list of recommended video cards in different price ranges and speeds http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html To use anything past the lower few you would want to have a i3 class CPU, and the upper mid range you'd want an i5.
  2. I haven't tested them no, but Ive tested everything else in the PC (from hdd to RAM) and by the process of elimination (plus a similar case incl. an ATI HD5770) I've deduced that the problem lies with the psu. Thanks for the recommendations, I'll have a look and see if anything tickles me.
Ask a new question

Read More

GPUs ATI Graphics Cards Graphics