$800 gaming & office build. Opinions please.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I'm looking to build my first PC. It'll be used as a gaming and office productivity PC. I read DIYAllDay's article (http://www.diyallday.com/how-to-build-a-computer/) on PC build and came up with this hardware combination to the best of my knowledge. I'd like to eventually overclock it to try to make this PC last at least 5 years. Office computing shouldn't be a problem for 5 years but I am concerned about for gaming usage as I like to play games like Battlefield 4 .I'm not going to be upgrading for at least 4-5 years so I don't think going with LGA 1150 will benefit me for "future proofing". Please give me your opinions. I'm not set on the case and power supply yet. I might go with a 500-600W one if it's sufficient.

Also I would like to know if there is features I would miss if I didn't go with higher(more expensive) mobo. I'm not an advance user(never OCed) but would like to be able to dig into in the future.

I've also heard that the ASUS GTX 760 is a thick board and it's going to take up 2 slot spaces. Any truth to this? Should I plan on getting a different mobo if this is the case?

I am planning on getting Windows 7 from OnTheHub. Do you guys know if they will allow me to do a fresh install?

Thank you

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2gVzy

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I can go with a corsair 500w for $10 cheaper than the thermaltake. Would this have enough juice for additional add ons down the road?

Anyone know if the windows7 from OnTheHub is good for fresh installs?

Any features I would miss on the higher end mobos?

PepitoTV

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
I have access to Windows on OnTheHub through my college and I can do fresh installs at will. I don't think it should be any different on just purchasing it.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Well you mention you want to overclock to make the pc last 5 years. But you didn't pick an unlocked processor so thats a first change you need to consider :p

Better mobo's can help give you better overclocks but the more you pay it'll just slightly get better. Having good cooler like a simple CPU cooler works wonders.

The Asus card isn't that big, its actually a bit short compare to others so you should be fine if you ever wanted to SLI. But you said you wont be upgrading for 5 years? If you plan to SLI the 760's a 700w is good. But for one card 500w is plenty.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Whops. Good eye on the processor. I meant to pick the 3570k which is $180 at my local micro center.

Regarding the asus 760, I meant to say its thicker than other gpus.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the 4670k and asus z87-a for $36 more?

No, it wouldn't be worth the extra $36. You wouldn't notice any difference performance-wise. As for the graphics card, the Asus will be no wider than all of the other cards, so don't worry about that. A 760 will keep you up to date and will still be running above 30fps when the 5 year mark rolls around. Go with a 770 if you want to extend that out a year or two more.

I have the motherboard you are wanting to get and it's awesome. Very user friendly on the overclocking features as well.

I also would recommend changing the PSU to be either a seasonic or a coirsair builder series PSU. I personally would recommend going with a 620W or 650W PSU because I personally think the smarter thing to do is not to buy a new graphics card in 5 years, but instead to just buy another matching model graphics card and SLI them in 5 years. You will be able to pick up another 760 for probably around $150 (or maybe less) in 5 years. and that will bring you up to modern standards at that point.

In 5 years a GTX 760 will be rarer than hens teeth, and even in SLI, will be WAY behind. How does a 8600 GT in SLI sound right now? That's how un-awesome a 760 SLI will be in 5 years.

My experience with SLI/Crossfire is that if you don't do it in the first six months of building a machine, you never will.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
5 years is a very long time, by then he may choose to just buy a new computer. Heck you may not even find a 760 in 5 years for SLI. Standards will most likely change so its best to probably buy a more powerful GPU at the point in time then to buy a 5 year old GPU with your 5 year old one.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks for giving me info on running SLI. I don't think I will be doing it down the road. If I do upgrade the GPU within the next 5 years, itll just be a new single card. This current system should be able to support any GPU that I plug into it right?

I have a question regarding ram. So now I want to get 2x4GB. Could I get another 2x4GB to make it 16GB in the future? I read about 2 channel and 4 channel but I'm not sure this system as it sits can support up to 4 sticks of ram.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Right now almost all single GPU's will work 600W. Probably get more efficent as time goes.

Yes the only concern I can see is if for some reason the same ram set with timings and speed would be gone when you decide to upgrade your RAM but that depends when. But then you can just match the timings and speed with your old set with another brand set, just gotta put the banks or something seperate. You'll be having 2 sets of dual channel btw.

^ Not really good at explaining it atm, braindead hehe

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ixZy

updated the cpu, ps and case. Might go with the gtx 770 since its on sale for $300 after rebate at newegg. It's the PNY version. I prefer to go with asus but that's going for $70 more. The part number is VCGGTX7702XPB-OC. It's different from the regular version VCGGTX7702XPB. Does OC means its factory overclocked? If so does it mean that it's locked at that clock and I can OC more?

The p8z77-v lk mobo supports 2-channel memory with 4 dimms. So I'm not sure what that means. Can I run 4x4gb ram on this in the future?

Thanks for all the response so far.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I also suggest you go with this PSU as the CX line from corsair isn't that good.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m

^ this goes you enough W for any possible single card solution you plan to upgrade in the future and is really good for the price as its made by seasonic.

For the PNY card you mention. The OC one is the one that uses there own custom cooler. You probably can overclock that one much better then the reference design.

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I will consider another power when I do some research. I think I will keep the WD Caviar Blue for now. I might go with SSD in the future.

I updated my build with a different case and a GTX 770 in place of GTX 760. Added another $70 or so. Hoping the prices dip when Christmas rolls around.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2j9ET

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
I was reading the specs on the mobo. I noticed in the specs that it only has 3 chassis fan connectors. The case I am planning on comes with 5 fans. What is the solution to this?

Thanks

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Thanks for all the helpful replies so far!

Here's the most up to date list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2kQDm

Everything has been purchase except for the HDD. I'm still between the WD Blue or WD Black. decisions decisions.

Ended up going with a Gigabyte GTX 770 OC version for $300 Hopefully it's a reliable card with good performance.

I do have a question. I ordered the G. Skill Ares in 2x4gb. There were two different versions with the same 1600 clock and 240pin etc etc. The only difference was the timing. The $20 cheaper one was 9-9-9-9 and the other was 8-8-8-8. Am I going to notice the difference between the two?

SwiftTone

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
How is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 compared the the WD black? Haven't set my eyes on a size yet but looking to stay around 90-110 after rebate.