Sign in with
Your question

Thinking about getting a new PSU

Last response: in Components
December 10, 2013 4:22:07 PM

As the title says, I am looking into possibly purchasing a new fully modular PSU. Currently I have a Corsair HX850 and it's been very good to me for the last 3 or 4 years and is still going strong. My biggest concern for the new psu is that all of the cables are flat/ribbon cables...including the 24pin cable. I have the Cooler Master N200 case and would like to route as many of the cables as I can behind the motherboard tray and the flat/ribbon type cables would be perfect. I've looked a bit and found the new Corsair RMS series. Any other suggestions would be great. Preferably, I would like an 850w psu because I also plan to buy another GTX 760 to run SLI soon.

This is more of an indulgence purchase than a need, but I do have other plans for the HX850 the new psu will be replacing. It will end up in my son's pc in-place of the old PC P&C Silencer 750w I bought 7 or 8 years ago for my first build. The Silencer will be a back-up if one of the others fail.

More about : thinking psu

a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2013 4:45:58 PM

Check out the new V series from CoolerMaster. I know, some of their older model left much to be desired, but the V's look pretty nice. Made by Seasonic.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

From Newegg, but can probably be found elsewhere too. Excellent price point!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Cooler Master V1000 - 1000W Power Supply with Fully Modular Cables and 80 PLUS Gold Certification
Jonnyguru.com Recommended Award (9.7/10)
a c 288 ) Power supply
December 10, 2013 4:58:34 PM

alpaugh78 said:
As the title says, I am looking into possibly purchasing a new fully modular PSU. Currently I have a Corsair HX850 and it's been very good to me for the last 3 or 4 years and is still going strong. My biggest concern for the new psu is that all of the cables are flat/ribbon cables...including the 24pin cable. I have the Cooler Master N200 case and would like to route as many of the cables as I can behind the motherboard tray and the flat/ribbon type cables would be perfect. I've looked a bit and found the new Corsair RMS series. Any other suggestions would be great. Preferably, I would like an 850w psu because I also plan to buy another GTX 760 to run SLI soon.

This is more of an indulgence purchase than a need, but I do have other plans for the HX850 the new psu will be replacing. It will end up in my son's pc in-place of the old PC P&C Silencer 750w I bought 7 or 8 years ago for my first build. The Silencer will be a back-up if one of the others fail.

Hi - just a word of caution on the Corsair RM series. The RM750 failed Hardocp's lab testing. Corsair has since modified it, but I'd wait for some positive reviews before I'd consider it, especially with Hipro/Chicony as the OEM.
Related resources
December 10, 2013 5:22:30 PM

Thanks for the info, guys. I haven't really had the chance to do any in-depth research so you are really helping me out. I will keep a closer eye on what happens with the RMS series between now and the time I decide to buy. Definitely liking the CM V series...Thanks!
a b ) Power supply
December 10, 2013 6:02:07 PM

alpaugh78 said:
Thanks for the info, guys. I haven't really had the chance to do any in-depth research so you are really helping me out. I will keep a closer eye on what happens with the RMS series between now and the time I decide to buy. Definitely liking the CM V series...Thanks!

The V 850 scored the same as the V1000, FYI.
!