AWD Wagon/Hatchback under $8000

rockadrock1

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I am not at the point of buying yet but when I have the cash I am planning on buying. What I am planning on getting is an AWD wagon or hatchback under 8000 dollars. I also don't want horrible mpg, something with at least 21 combined mpg. I also want to be able to play song from my mp3 so tape or aux would nice.

Solution
For under 8k you're fairly limited when wanting an awd hatchback or wagon. At least something that won't have a lot of additional costs involved. There are some expensive maintenance pieces that need to be done at higher miles. With AWD vehicles you need to change the diff fluids regularly, for example my Jeep is every 30k miles, and then there are timing belts/chains which can cost upwards of a $1000 to have done.
You might be lucky and find an Audi A3, 325xi wagon, or Saab 9-2x Aero in your price range. There are also lots of smaller SUVs like the Rav4 although they are not very luxurious they are dependable and good vehicles. The Outback Limited is a good vehicle as well but I'd try to get the 9-2x, which is just a higher end re...

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
The Subaru Impreza wagon sounds like a pretty good match for you. Do not make your decision on the audio side of it as a good head unit is only a couple hundred dollars and will do everything you want while sounding better than the stock one. If you are not to interested in performance the Suzuki SX4 is pretty good as well although it's smaller than the Impreza.

wip99gt

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
For under 8k you're fairly limited when wanting an awd hatchback or wagon. At least something that won't have a lot of additional costs involved. There are some expensive maintenance pieces that need to be done at higher miles. With AWD vehicles you need to change the diff fluids regularly, for example my Jeep is every 30k miles, and then there are timing belts/chains which can cost upwards of a $1000 to have done.
You might be lucky and find an Audi A3, 325xi wagon, or Saab 9-2x Aero in your price range. There are also lots of smaller SUVs like the Rav4 although they are not very luxurious they are dependable and good vehicles. The Outback Limited is a good vehicle as well but I'd try to get the 9-2x, which is just a higher end re badged WRX, before it but that's just my taste.

Solution