HDMI to Multi including S-Video

rybussell

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012
I have a computer with two HDMI slots, one on board and the other on my video card...

We have a tv that we connect to with HDMI and a projector that requires S-Video...

My plan is to connect the HDMI to a HDMI splitter and then get a converter that turns the S-Video to HDMI and connect them both to the splitter... A couple websites I've came across say it's not possible and that anyone trying to sell that kind of converter is lying.

So what I'm asking is, is there an adapter to convert an S-Video to HDMI, or better yet, a hub I can run the HDMI into that outputs to HDMI and S-Video? I hate searching google and seeing the conflicting statements.

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
i assume you're only using the HDMI output from your vid card, and not the onboard one, right? if so, does your vid card have a DVI-I or VGA output as well? if so, use that, set to mirror the outputs from within Windows, and then find a VGA-to-Svid converter, which should be infinitely easier.

if you don't have such a card, buy one. MUCH simpler solution than the paragraph that follows...

the reason that an HDMI-to-HDMI+Svid splitter doesn't exist is because you're likely the only person on the planet who would want one. technically it's possible, but nobody has really bothered to design & build one (except maybe some specific niche markets where you'll likely pay $500 for the unit at the least). basically, you want an HDMI replicator with a DAC to take one of the replicated HDMIs and make it Svid - with appropriate resampling to a lower level.

rybussell

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

Yeah.. Using the video card.. It has an HDMI, a DVI, and a VGA. With the program I'm using, I need one screen separate from the other two which should be identical.. So essentially monitor 1 should be windows, monitor 2/3 should be something completely separate. I've never worked with more than two monitors.. Is it possible to, with three monitors, only mirror two of the three and have the third one be completely separate?

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
since i didn't know, i checked:

yes. (at least in my case)

i'm running a GT610 on two* screens, plus a 9400GT on two screens. i can have extended desktop to use all four (1,2,3,4), or i can mirror the 9400's output so that i have 1,2,3,3

* actually 4 screens but Win7 sees it as 2, and the card splits each of the two into another two, so... yeah.

rybussell

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

First two lines made me laugh actually... Thanks.. I'm just going to do as you suggested and find a cheap VGA/S-Video adapter.. Thanks.. Do I close this question out or what? Haven't been on the site in a while before today...

giantbucket

Dignified
BANNED
keep it open and update once you've tried it out. if what you try works, then post so that someone else can learn (i dunno, 6+ billion people on earth, someone else is bound to want to try this...)

rybussell

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

It's an XFX 6450 Radeon HD or something like that. I really don't remember the exact model. It has 1 HDMI, 1 DVI, and 1 VGA.. I have a software program that churches use and it uses one screen to run the program and the other to display the actual presentation.. And the church I'm putting this together for actually has a HDMI TV and a projector that it needs to display the actual presentation on both...

So what I think I'll do based on this thread is run the HDMI straight to the HDMI TV, then run the projector and PC on the DVI/VGA ports...