Asus Hero Mobo Q-code help

LittleJerk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
This is my first build, and aside from maybe touching the Mobo a few times, or accidentally touching my GPU's PCI connecter teeth by accident, I played it pretty much by the book. Most of everything went swimmingly.

Everything is new from Amazon:
NZXT Phantom
i7 4770k
Asus Maximus VI Hero
G.Skill Trident X SEries DDR3 2133/9 (2 x 8)
Hyper 212 EVO
EVGA Classified GTX 780
Corsair HX 1080w
Velociraptor 500 gig HDD
Samsung 840 EVO 250 gig SSD
Some LG 16x Blu-ray Writer
A bunch of CM LED fans to replace the case's stock fans, Sickle flow 1 x 140 mm, 4 x 120 mm, and another NZXT 200 mm for the top.
Aaaand... I think that's it

I HDMI'd my rig up to my monitor via the GPU, and USB'd my keyboard and mouse.

I turned on my CPU and I'm looking at the BIOS.

A few things: My Q-code displays "A3" which in the booklet is IDE Enable, which is a good thing. But is that the default, "Don't worry about anything, everything is ok?" Shouldn't there be a code specifically for that?

Second problem: The Asus Hero spec guide says the standard for the DRAM is 1333/1600 without OC.

However, it's not detecting my stick in the DIMM_A1 slot at all. and the B1 slot is detected at 1333 instead of 1600. (Even though the capacity is at 2133).

Should I be worried about the speed?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Make sure that the A1 stick is all the way in there, I had a stick on my asus sabertooth that wasnt registering and it turns out I just had to jam it in farther. You may wish to test the stick that isnt being detected (or the slot, I wasnt quite sure if you meant the slot wasnt detecting the stick or the stick wouldnt show up) I don't believe you want IDE, as your drive should be a sata drive.

It might have defaulted it to 1333, mine defaulted to 1600 but i think i heard somewhere that sometimes the default is 1333. You can probably change it without much hassle if you want to.

I might have missed something when reading, but I just wanted to confirm, you definitely managed to successfully get into the BIOS correct?

LittleJerk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Well I solved and ran into more problems. (Thanks for responding, btw!)

So after fidgeting with all combinations, my rig will ONLY POST if 1 of the sticks is in the B1 slot. It will not POST if it's any of the other 3. The OTHER stick won't cause a POST in -any- slot. The Q-Code error 53 (Memory not installed properly) pops up. When 53 comes up, it won't POST.

Hopefully you're right about the 1333 being default, though. If that 1 stick is in B1, it will post, and I will get into the BIOS (where it will ignore the 2nd stick.)

Also - I'm really, really shoving the sticks in there, man. Like I see the Mobo bending. Once the DIMM cap clicks in, I stop pressing down.

Hello LittleJerk.

I have the same motherboard and I used A2 and B2 black slots without a problem with 2x 8GB 2133Mhz RAM with XMP.
Here gskill support is right.
I have read it many times and was written by an asus representative (at rog forums) that you should use the black slots first.

LittleJerk

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
After further probing, my Hyper 212 EVO's fan was bending the A1 stick JUUUUUST ever so slightly, I didn't notice. (The ASUS Hero manual states to use the red slots first, which is why I did it), but after I moved both sticks to A2 and B2, the system worked perfectly. The RAM works amazingly, OC'd them with no problem - I'd highly recommend them to anyone. (And thank you G.Skill for responding to my posts).

So ya - Use the black slots

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
There is a slight stability advantage to using slots A1 and B1 on our T-Topology boards (ROG series Z87). However, for most people A2 and B2 should be fine.