Difficulty of switching to SSD from HDD?

toomanymouths

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hi all,

First, my tech experience is relatively low. In fact, I'm currently working on building my first computer (for gaming, under $1000). The one thing that would have put me over my budget was an SSD, even though I wanted one.

As such, I got a Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD but am having regrets. I purchased a full version of Windows 8.1 (not OEM) and thought I could easily transfer it to an SSD when I can afford one (maybe a year from now). But as I read up on this, it seems more complicated than I thought and I'm wondering if I should push to start off with an SSD now (I technically can afford it, I'm just not supposed to spend that much).

So my question is: if I wait a year to buy an SSD, will it be very challenging for someone with low tech expertise to transfer Windows over to the new drive? Some people talk about cloning which I do NOT want to do--I would rather do a clean install. What I am unsure of is whether I can install Windows 8.1 on two drives, if I need to format the HDD before installing Windows on the SSD, etc.

What I'm hoping to do is this:
-Disconnect HHD
-Connect SSD
-Put in Windows 8.1 disc and install (if it lets me)
-Reconnect HHD (but now, I'm unsure how to remove Windows 8.1 from the HDD... is it necessary to reformat?)

Thanks for any help you can offer!

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you do the steps you list at the bottom, you'll be fine. Win8 doesn't care how many times you re-install it, as long as you do it on the same PC. In fact, I've heard M$ lessened the restriction of OEM licensing with Win8.

Once you reconnect the HDD, it will just be another storage drive; albeit with an OS located on it. Simply quick format it if you have no thoughts of returning the drive to its boot position.

Btw, when you add the SSD, don't forget to make it the boot drive in BIOS. If the HDD is disconnected, there's probably no worries anyway. But check to be sure. And be sure SATA mode is set to AHCI.
When you go to install Win8 on the SSD, you may want to look this over for some performance improvements: http://www.overclock.net/t/1240779/seans-windows-8-install-optimization-guide-for-ssds-hdds

toomanymouths

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Thanks for your help!