Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as possible

Budget Range: £2000 - £3000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Dev work, Watching Movies

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Parts to Upgrade: Full Build

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Prefer local retailer for returns/support. (And to support my local bricks and mortar store)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: prefer Asus M/B with Intel CPU

Overclocking: Yes - Air Cooled Stable no envelope pushing

SLI or Crossfire: Yes, but not essential if single card can do the job

Your Monitor Resolution: 2560x1440 x 2 (Only interested in running games on one, in general)

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Current PC is 5+ Years old and is being put out to pasture for spare, usage when friends are around.

Additional Comments:

The case was personal preference, but if anyone thinks something is quieter and looks nicer, I'll consider it.

Notes an usage: Games wise I'm a very casual gamer but want to play games @ 2560x1440 in all their glory. I'll be spending most of my time working through the Bioshock Series and Mass Effect series which will probably take me a couple of years. So this build will hopefully last me quite some time, with maybe a GFX update several years down the line.

The Build:

Also made the list available on pcpartpicker: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2hghM

Case................CoolerMaster Storm Trooper
PSU..................Corsair RM850 850W
Motherboard.....Asus Z87 Pro
CPU..................Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Socket 1150
Cooler..............Noctura NH-U14S
Memory............G.Skill Trident X 32GB DDR3 2400MHz
GFX 1...............EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB SC
GFX 2...............EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB SC
SSD..................Samsung 840 Pro
HDD.................Seagate 7200.14 3TB
Optical.............(Stealing the Asus BlueRay from my old machine)

Keyboard........Tesoro Durandel
Mouse.............Razer Ouroboros
Monitor 1.........Dell U2713HM
Monitor 2.........Dell U2713HM

Advice:

Previously I've shied away from overclocking, but the tools have improved and there is much more info, so I'm willing to give it a go this time. If anyone has any experience with these components I'd welcome any advice.

PSU was one of the hardest components for me to pick, I like modular designs as I hate cables everywhere, and I like those that have good cable that are easy to build neatly with. I may install more HardDrives later and will charge my phone when docked etc. Not sure if I've left enough breathing room on the power requirements here.

Originally was looking to get the GSkill RipJawsX 2133, but my local supplier only has the Trident. Recent articles on Toms gave better results for memory running at DDR3-2133 so this was my intended setup, not sure if that is a good idea or not. Now for a question I'm struggling to find an answer for. At the moment there seems no real need to get anything above 16GB ram, but in the future lifetime of this machine? I don't know, I flit between tasks keep lots open so always play safe on getting more ram than I need. I would have like to get 2 x 8GB sticks now and got another 2 at a later date, but this idea seems to be poo-poo'd due to possible conflicts and that it is better to get it at the start. (I'm not big on intermediate positions either, I'd rather get all now than get 16GB now only to replace it later)

A huge amount of thanks to anyone who takes the time to respond to my post :)