Sign in with
Your question
Closed

EA May Face Legal Action Over Battlefield 4

Last response: in News comments
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 5:44:11 PM

It's about time some one asked questions, BF3 wasn't the smoothest of launches either IIRC.
Score
December 11, 2013 5:45:20 PM

Paragraph four, last sentence, 5th word. Believe that was suppose to say "say" and not "day".
Score
December 11, 2013 5:58:57 PM

So, I guess now the only risk in the stock market is to those companies that sell shares.... If stock value decreases, just sue the company to make up the loss....then pocket more money when the stock goes back up.
Score
December 11, 2013 6:01:04 PM

Maybe, just maybe... EA should hire MORE testers and hire LESS executives.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 6:09:28 PM

That law firm just wants to take advantage of the judicial system to get a nice juicy cut of whatever their "clients" wins
Score
December 11, 2013 6:14:15 PM

Damn lawyers. This is why we can't have nice things!
Score
December 11, 2013 6:14:17 PM

Yep this game was not ready for launch and was rushed in order to compete with call of duty. Less money grubbing executives and more gamers. Had the gamers been in control I believe more things would have been ironed out but because of the executives wanting to line their pockets we as consumers who spent anywhere from $59.99 to well over $100 get stuck with a crappy game.
Score
December 11, 2013 6:33:10 PM

Where's the restitution for the people conned into pre-orders or payed $60+ for a unfinished broken game, or any amount for that matter. This has happened all to often with EA, it's not a fluke. They knew what they did from day one. These fan's are who made EA and the BF franchise, and they get treated like a source of cash to be harvested. It's sad really.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:03:02 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's about time some one asked questions, BF3 wasn't the smoothest of launches either IIRC.

Indeed.

During BF3's launch the dog wasn't the game itself, but Battlelog. The game was stablish(ish) but getting into a game was a nightmare.

BF4 has been the other way around. Battlelog is fairly mature and functional, but the game itself is quite unstable.
Score
December 11, 2013 7:06:29 PM

thechief73 said:
These fan's are who made EA and the BF franchise, and they get treated like a source of cash to be harvested. It's sad really.

and the flip side of that coin is, if you don't want be treated like a source of cash to be harvested, then don't act like one by pre-ording games from EA. EA has had a tarnished reputation for years and this isn't the first game, or even piece of software in general, to have bugs on launch. change starts with consumers, not with executives.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:16:48 PM

Pinhedd said:
Mousemonkey said:

Indeed.

During BF3's launch the dog wasn't the game itself, but Battlelog. The game was stablish(ish) but getting into a game was a nightmare.

BF4 has been the other way around. Battlelog is fairly mature and functional, but the game itself is quite unstable.

I was given a copy of the game a little while ago so I didn't have to deal with the issues personally but I do recall the multitudes of posts complaining of the game when it was released. As a mature freebie though I think it's fantastic fun but I am getting a little tired of being shot in the head! :lol: 
Score
December 11, 2013 7:21:48 PM

I hope all of this publicity makes DICE put Quality Assurance as one of their top priorities.

Literally every dice game that's been released on PC has been riddled with bugs. I used to rent game servers for Bad Company 2, and we would spend a hour filling a server, recruiting all our online friends to the server so we could get quickmatch traffic, but as soon as we filled the server, it crash'ed.

Same with BF3, but we expected it.

With BF4, we didn't even try, we knew it would be like this. Now we don't even rent servers anymore, but if we ever started back, it would be 6 months after the games release date.

The blame is not all on EA, DICE just writes shitty messy code.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:24:09 PM

jasonelmore said:
I hope all of this publicity makes DICE put Quality Assurance as one of their top priorities.

Literally every dice game that's been released on PC has been riddled with bugs. I used to rent game servers for Bad Company 2, and we would spend a hour filling a server, recruiting all our online friends to the server so we could get quickmatch traffic, but as soon as we filled the server, it crash'ed.

With BF4, we didn't even try, we knew it would be like this. Now we don't even rent servers anymore, but if we ever started back, it would be 6 months after the games release date.

Doesn't bode well for Mantle does it?
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:43:35 PM

Mousemonkey said:
jasonelmore said:

Mantle is clientside. Most of BF4's problems seem to be serverside. Aside from a few crash issues (mostly solved by beta drivers) the BF4 client is rather stable. I was quite amazed at how well it ran out of the box, they clearly put a lot of effort into the engine itself and it does show. The rendering engine is one part that runs correctly.

I wonder how many of the people who are experiencing regular crashes simply have machines that are exhibiting instability as a result of poor overclocking.
Score
December 11, 2013 7:45:00 PM

I only want my money back! i have played this bugged game about 3 hours (working) but more than 70 hours of crash. first deception DIABLO 3 and NOW BF4.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 7:46:12 PM

Pinhedd said:
Mousemonkey said:
jasonelmore said:

Mantle is clientside. Most of BF4's problems seem to be serverside. Aside from a few crash issues (mostly solved by beta drivers) the BF4 client is rather stable. I was quite amazed at how well it ran out of the box, they clearly put a lot of effort into the engine itself and it does show. The rendering engine is one part that runs correctly.

I wonder how many of the people who are experiencing regular crashes simply have machines that are exhibiting instability as a result of poor overclocking.

More than a few I'm guessing! :lol: 
Score
December 11, 2013 8:01:35 PM

well i feel left out of purchasing this game now to experience the bugs because i finnaly just bought bf3 a week ago.
Score
December 11, 2013 8:01:36 PM

well i feel left out of purchasing this game now to experience the bugs because i finnaly just bought bf3 a week ago.
Score
December 11, 2013 8:30:48 PM

I don't expect for any game launch to be 100% smooth, but there is no excuse for bf4's problems it's just not a few minor glitches here or there some of them are pretty big like the loss of save data.
Score
December 11, 2013 8:50:13 PM

Some Bethesda titles probably have even more bugs than this lol
Score
December 11, 2013 9:09:30 PM

tolham said:
thechief73 said:
These fan's are who made EA and the BF franchise, and they get treated like a source of cash to be harvested. It's sad really.

and the flip side of that coin is, if you don't want be treated like a source of cash to be harvested, then don't act like one by pre-ording games from EA. EA has had a tarnished reputation for years and this isn't the first game, or even piece of software in general, to have bugs on launch. change starts with consumers, not with executives.

I never said I was one of those persons. And thank you, you have added a very good point to the one I was trying to make. But the vote with your wallet form of protesting has been stated numerous times for numerous things and it never works and never will. People will still buy informed or not and defend / justify their purchases in one way or another. Further this is thwarted in the game industry by purchases made by parents / family that buy for young ones.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 9:27:34 PM

Honestly in the days of high speed internet, it seems most companies release games before they are ready now.

I remember getting games and they WORKED out of the box with no waiting on patches. Hell even console games release with bugs now.
Score
December 11, 2013 9:31:10 PM

I'm not even surprised anymore when I see a news article about EA doing shitty things at the expense of the consumer. It's also why I stopped buying their products. Buyer beware.
Score
December 11, 2013 9:39:48 PM

Pinhedd said:
Mousemonkey said:
jasonelmore said:

I would say it's still far from stable or being just on server side. They just have the ability to throw up server side fixes as it doesn't overwhelm those with limited caps each month. Notice all client side patch work is done in packages and typically around reset dates for most providers. (End or beginning of month)

Console platforms are even worst as it takes a longer period of time to roll out fixes because they have their own Q&A departments to review downloads.

I love the BF4 series, enough that bought a copy for all 3 platforms in order to play with everyone I know. However, EA really needs to lessen their pressure on developers altogether. Sure DICE needs to have some balls, but they're owned by EA so it's probably not as easy for them.... and in today's job industry... I'm sure some fear for their jobs and don't want to isolate themselves from the pack.

Case in point Star Wars MMO was rushed to release, that mistake cost them subs that just never returned. Sim City was also another failure with unstable servers. BF4 could have been improved so much more if they targeted a holiday pre-christmas release and still have sold a significant amount of units. Though I'm certain that both Sony and Microsoft pressured their partners to release something to encourage console sales. Aside from the very few exclusives, the best titles currently are multi platform.... and until March-July 2014 there isn't much available.
Score
December 11, 2013 10:27:23 PM

"I don't expect for any game launch to be 100% smooth"

you should expect all consoles to be trouble-free and never need updates or patches. wasn't that the whole point of having fixed hardware and programming specifically for it? don't lower your standards or companies will continue to do this.
Score
December 11, 2013 10:27:42 PM

you should expect all consoles to be trouble-free and never need updates or patches. wasn't that the whole point of having fixed hardware and programming specifically for it? don't lower your standards or companies will continue to do this.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 11, 2013 10:30:34 PM

s997863 said:

+ Eleventy million!
Score
December 11, 2013 11:17:32 PM

s997863 said:

We should expect it but it's not a realistic expectation.

Although I certainly agree with you that they've taken advantage of the situation. I think what upsets me the most is EA hasn't taken reasonable efforts to compensate it's customers for the poor initial release. Sim City only suffered issues for like 1-2 weeks and customers received a choice for a free game, some decent titles were available as well. While BF4 suffers almost 8 weeks of issues for some and we were given a x2 XP week and a x3 Scope for the 1911, which was also only offered on 1 day of the week. What the hell is that?

Score
December 11, 2013 11:28:21 PM

You ask the question why do people buy stocks in a company.
The plain and simple answer is to make a profit.
Buying stocks and shares is a gamble or gambling your own money for that effect.
Do you blame the Game makers or the coders for greedy little people who put pressure on a company for going everything else just to make a profit, when the shares reach an all time high?

Other than that they have absolutely no other concern.

And you wonder why you end up with a crappy, buggy game.
Have a think.
A means to and end as they say.
Most company on the stock look after there share holders.
Funny how these people were probably largely responsible in alot of ways due to pressure, in simply just making a profit of the shares, and very little else cause the demise of so many things.
Score
December 11, 2013 11:40:06 PM

The point to the case is proven, in case anyone is in doubt, they want to sue due to a loss. Like I said have a think about these people and what and all they are there for.
Score
December 11, 2013 11:55:16 PM

"Just recently EA put a hold on all future DLC until the bugs have been ironed out, a move that didn’t sit well with investors"

Now does anyone think why when the game was released it was due to pressure from greedy little share and stock holders just wanting to make money, do you think that was the driving force to a game released with far more bugs ect ?
Score
December 12, 2013 1:37:24 AM

I am just as angry at everyone who pre-ordered this game as I am at EA/DICE for releasing it too early. It sickens me to see the game industry pervert long-time franchises into cash cows, only for all of us consumers to validate their decision with en masse pre-ordering.

EA lacks the soul required to care enough to actually fix anything. Meanwhile, DICE proudly declares they are halting DLC to focus on bug fixes as if we are supposed to warm up to their proud dedication to quality? Where are the innovative future FPS games I lusted over a decade ago?
Score
December 12, 2013 1:48:41 AM

This is just a law firm that wants to suck free money. Yes, the game was quite horrible at start, constant crashes, but they patched about everything within about a month from release, i haven`t had any crashes since the last client update, on BF3 i would get some random crashes even years later from release.

If you search the forums there will be some guys complaining in a childish manner but i mostly blame poor OS with lot of things installed or bad computers, heck on anything out there there will be someone complaining about something, thing is usually the guys who have everything working don`t go on forums to say thanks and thus you only get to see the guys crying sometimes for the wrong reasons.

This game is too complex to smooth everything out before launch, there are way too many variables to be perfect from day one, this is what people don`t get, and there are some complaining about saves.. BF4 has a 4-6 hour campaign just for show, the game itself is bought for multiplayer.
Score
December 12, 2013 1:54:31 AM

I've been a proud BF player since the days of BF1942, but this game is just a joke. The netcode issues, the sound issues, the connection issues, the massive patches, sorry, I actually want to get a refund on this game and under south african consumer laws, if a product is defective (as this one clearly is) one is indeed entitled to a full refund. Unfortunately, EA just doesn't play ball. Either way, I can confirm without a doubt that this is my last game that I will ever buy from EA, unless they give me a refund on this piece of untested garbage that I've paid a lot of money for. (I've bought the premium edition).
Score
December 12, 2013 1:54:38 AM

I am just as angry at everyone who pre-ordered this game as I am at EA/DICE for releasing it too early. It sickens me to see the game industry pervert long-time franchises into cash cows, only for all of us consumers to validate their decision with en masse pre-ordering.

EA lacks the soul required to care enough to actually fix anything. Meanwhile, DICE proudly declares they are halting DLC to focus on bug fixes as if we are supposed to warm up to their proud dedication to quality? Where are the innovative future FPS games I lusted over a decade ago?
Score
December 12, 2013 2:25:40 AM

Stability of the game has increased a lot after the last patch. However I had a crash yesterday after playing about 1.5 hours. Was doing well too - this means all the stats were lost. Although it was stable(ish) for me, the two friends i were playing with had about 2 or 3 crashes each.
Score
December 12, 2013 2:32:25 AM

the crashing i assure you has nothing to do with overclocking. I crash the same overclocked or not and with my ambient temps in the house the gpu and cpu are staying very cool. I may be able to play an hour or i may get crashed 9 times in a row like i did yesterday morning. I know from now on im not buying anything from ea or dice until its been out for at least 3-5 months.
Score
December 12, 2013 2:50:36 AM

A slap in the face to all those that spent an extra $50 for that DLC that is delayed to whenever. My biggest gripe is its crashing more since the updates when it wasnt effecting me before that much, and hit detection is really bad, dying behind solid cover is ridiculous. The amount of snipers in each server makes it almost unplayable too.
Score
December 12, 2013 3:30:38 AM

Its that bullet curving bro lmfao like on the movie "wanted".
Score
December 12, 2013 4:24:49 AM

IMO anyone who already has the game is letting EA know this kind of behavior isn't just acceptable but want's them to keep doing it. I REFUSE to buy anymore EA games knowing that the launches are buggy and poorly planned. They have less to do with completed games than getting to market as soon as possible. The only franchises that tend to launch bug free are EA sports, and that's because they're the same damn game year after year.

If you really want EA to change hit them where it hurts, their bottom line. And I would also recommend checking out Kickstarter and Indiegogo. Better games, lower cost, devs that listen, and you help shape the industry. Gaming the way it should be.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 12, 2013 5:16:52 AM

First, let me say BF3 multi-player is among my favorite games ever. I went through the technical tough times with it because I had never played anything like it. I have never played a game more. I got my Colonel 100 without a s*** bucket. After playing the BF4 beta, I was pretty excited and even decided to host my own BF4 server.

I've found BF4 to be a buggy mess. You would not believe how many problems there have been on the back end (primarily memory leaks). I seriously wish companies would quit releasing their beta crap on the masses while selling it as a finished product. This is so very wrong. I'm sure it was a big push by EA even while the developers were cautioning against this. I can see periodic updates / patches going in but I've seen server patches between 1 and 3 times daily on some days - not ready for prime time. And guess what??? When your server goes down, no one reimburses server owners for the cost of the down time. Not the host, because they say that can't control how EA's product functions (or rather doesn't), and not EA.

On the client side, hit markers disappearing (as well as any associated damage) as you're laying into enemies at point blank range, running into invisible objects in the middle of a map, game crashes and seeing 'Game Error: A problem has occurred', audio issues on a couple of the maps when you hop in vehicles.

When it works BF4's a great game, but I haven't played the POS in weeks even though I prepaid a year in advance for the server. If you can't tell, I'm a little disenchanted with EA altogether.

Maybe by the time I go back to playing it (not sure when that will be), it will be better. But as a consumer, I'm definitely feeling like I'm being taken advantage of by EA.

I definitely should have paid monthly for the server, so I could, at least, cancel with the host after a month to voice my protest. We live and learn.
Score
December 12, 2013 5:26:30 AM

55 hrs, and only a few EXPECTED glitches.....Lawyers suck, and people need to quit bashing, its your fault the game doesn't run right on your machine, upgrade.
Score
December 12, 2013 5:31:41 AM

There's no excuse for Windows ME, or Vista, or..........I haven't seen any lawsuits over lost revenue on that side of the fence. I think its just fanboy stuff, like the AMD vs Nvidea thing where AMD peeps keep quiet and Nvidea boys allways bash drivers even though there hasn't been a driver issue for years. Its all COD fans saying it sucks, in reality COD sucks!!!!
Score
a b 4 Gaming
December 12, 2013 5:45:20 AM

jmonaco5 said:
55 hrs, and only a few EXPECTED glitches.....Lawyers suck, and people need to quit bashing, its your fault the game doesn't run right on your machine, upgrade.

Not when you know of all the issues going on with the servers. Not everyone sees this side of things. I'm guessing you don't run a BF4 game server?
Score
December 12, 2013 6:32:34 AM

The issues are not with peoe systems. My pc is well equipped to play the game yet the crashing keeps on happening. Over and over and over and over. Its already been acknowledged as it being on their end and not the consumers so saying things like "you need to upgrade your pc" is just false information.
Score
December 12, 2013 7:15:03 AM

Well, at least they did a much better job than Obamacare.

But seriously, WTF kind of lawsuit is this??? Put out an imperfect product and get sued by your shareholders???? How is anyone supposed to do business?? They'd be so afraid of putting anything out to market that's not at least 95% perfect or better.

But really, BF4 is playable, it's not perfect but they'll get the bugs ironed out. I'd rather have the game sooner, than have a perfect game when i start playing it.
Score
December 12, 2013 7:29:40 AM

Not me. Dont release a game till its ironed out all the issues. This release has been a nightmare and virtually unplayable for alot of people. This is what they get for releasing it early try to compete with call of duty. If I was a share holder I'd be pissed too especially when someone who works for the company who made the game says it was rushed and not properly tested and "ironed out".
Score
December 12, 2013 7:32:03 AM

Let's not forget about SimCity AKA CrapCity... EA has been smearing poop all over the gaming market these past couple of years.
Score
December 12, 2013 7:56:48 AM

In this instance I find litigation, or the threat of it, to be positive. It's BS that companies throw half-ass programs out the door for a quick money grab.

Before this they weren't called out on it except for forum rage. Now they know they can get hit on their bottom line so hopefully they'll adjust their attitude and standards.
Score
!