Choosing a Z77 mobo with these specs

Alright so I need a mobo with:
At least 2 front panel usb 3.0 and 4 2.0 connections
At least 4 sata3 ports
At least 5 chassi fan headers

I will be over clocking and gaming on it as well and was leaning toward the ASUS P8Z77-V pro after previously leaning toward the MSI Z77 gd65 gaming. My budget is about $200. Am I making the right choice or should I look into another board?

I had looked at the z77 ud3h but it only has 2 sata3 ports. The ud5h is a bit over my price range. The z77X-d3h is the other possibility at my range and it does have the 4 sata3 ports but only 1 PCI express 3.0 and I may want to sli my gtx 770 later on. So it doesn't look like gigabyte is for me unless I am wrong about something.

Is there a certain model you recommend? I have tried comparing the extreme4 and 6 and there doesn't seem to be much of a difference. The only differences I can see are that the 6 has a floppy connector which doesn't matter, 1 ieee 1394 connector (I don't know what that is), a display port, and some accessories. Also the extreme4 is smaller by an inch which I saw could be an issue for installation. My main downside to the Asrock boards are just the 3 chassis fan headers. But assuming I was getting one should I get the 4 or 6?

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

I have the ASRock Extreme4 right now. Yes, the board is slightly smaller, but still screws in just fine (although it can feel flimsy while pushing RAM in).

As for the fan header issue, here is a list of headers:
CPU_FAN1 (4-pin)
CPU_FAN2 (3-pin)
PWR_FAN1 (3-pin)
CHA_FAN1 (4-pin)
CHA_FAN2 (3-pin)
CHA_FAN3 (3-pin)

CPU_FAN2 can be used as a regular fan header. It's only labeled as CPU_FAN2 so you can use the BIOS' built-in automatic fan controller, which is mediocre at best. PWR_FAN1 runs the fan plugged into that header at 100% only, never any other speed. CHA_FAN1, 2, and 3 are just regular headers.

Also, have you ever heard of fan controllers? Greatest things ever invented! :)

Thanks for the input, good to hear the size wasn't a real problem for you. As for fan controllers I've heard of them yes but haven't really looked into them. I thought it would be nice if I could just have it covered by the mobo. I have heard good things about the p8z77 fan controls which is part of why I'm currently leaning that way

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013

First, I would like to say that manually changing fan speeds in the BIOS or letting the motherboard handle it automatically is sloppy at best. If you don't want to invest in a fan controller, I know there is software for controlling your fans as well. Personally though, nothing beats just turning a knob, dial, or even fiddling with a touchscreen to accurately tune your fans to your needs on the fly.

Second, I will never buy an ASUS motherboard. I know their supposed to be one of the top motherboard manufactures, but after my friend having to RMA the same motherboard you're looking at FIVE TIMES, I have no faith. Everybody has good and bad experiences with every manufacturer, I know, just sharing the one my friend (and consequently myself) had to deal with.

SlitWeaver

Honorable
Mar 23, 2013
The only advice I can really give is to avoid touchscreen fan controllers. They may seem cool, but they're definitely not. :pfff: Lots of fan controllers also have built-in LEDs. I hate that, but that's just personal preference. :p

gokul36

Distinguished

Try Gigabyte or Asus.....