New processor and board, some help/suggestions needed

JiMi hEndRiX

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013
Hey guys and gals,
I'm a first time poster long time visitor. I'm looking for some confirmation of some things I believe to be true but want to make sure. I'll provide a little background of my situation and then my question.
My current PC setup was built by myself and consisted of the following:
-Silverstone TJ09 case Link Here
-Asus P6T mobo Link Here
-Intel i7-920
-Cooler Master V10 heaksink Link Here
-6gb OCZ Platinum DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Link Here
-BFG GTX 275 graphics card Link Here
-Razer Barracuda AC-1 soundcard Link Here
-WD Raptor 300gb 10,000rpm HDD for OS(Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit), Photoshop, Games
-WD 500gb 7200rpm HDD for storage
-4 external HDDs (1 2tb, 2 1tb, 1 500gb) backup, storage, HD videos, RAW and JPG photos.

My mobo recently went and after doing some research with my limited budget in mind I decided on and purchased the i7-4770K CPU. I'm also strongly leaning towards the ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150 . I want to start off by saying that I know that my ram, soundcard, and graphics card are obsolete, very much so. I plan on upgrading each of these but in time as money is currently a very big factor. My specific questions are as follows:

-If i plan to go with the new Asus board(which i'm pretty much sold on) I provided a link to will my current ram be compatible? I believe it will after looking at the board specs but I want to be sure.

-I also plan on using my existing graphics card until I have the funds to upgrade, at which point I will be getting the latest BFG card available then. Do you have suggestions for this?

-I will be unable to use my current sound card with this board, i'm wondering if the integrated sound will be sufficient. I'll provide what I use my PC for next.

-I also will need a new heat sink. What do you suggest regardless of price as I can use the stock one until I get the new one.

In terms of timing of upgrading components: If i don't have the funds available for a heat sink when buying the board I plan on upgrading in order: Heat sink, graphics card, ram, sound card(if needed).

I use my PC for obviously every day use for web purposes, gaming from time to time but i'm not really a gamer. There will definitely be times when I will be playing a game that comes out and catches my eye. Im very much into photography so using the Photoshop CS5(soon to be CS6) suite is a main use. I edit RAW images mostly with Photomatix, Photoshop CS5, and Lightroom. I also do some HD video editing/converting here and there. My current setup has met my needs for the most part so i'm not needing a dramatic increase in performance although I am looking for some increase obviously.

Lastly, this is probably a really stupid question but i'm not positive so that's why i'm asking: There is nothing wrong with any of my HDDs so i'm hoping that when I put in the new CPU and board in my existing case with the above peripherals will my OS still be intact as it was before the board died? As in after the board and CPU are in i power on and use without anything else just as before? Just power on and go?

I know this is a lot of info but if anyone can take the time to read and answer the questions above that would be GREATLY appreciated more than you could know. Thank you in advance guys!!!

thederpiest

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I do not see the need for such an expensive mobo, although you probably have your reasons.
about the ram compatibility, use pcpartpicker.com to make your builds, it will tell you about basic problems to your build.

JiMi hEndRiX

Honorable
Dec 11, 2013

Thanks for the reply man! I was thinking that board just for future purposes and future upgrade potential. Do you know of something that might be in between what you think would suit me and that one? I'm not looking for you to do my researching for me but most of you guys really seem to know you stuff so any and all input is welcome and appreciated.

thederpiest

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

sorry for late response, how much do you think you will overclock?