Nvidia HDTV and Monitor only working in one DVI port

sbasurco

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Hi all! Great site :)

I've read a hundred threads and I can't find my specific case. Quick summary of my specs:

Windows 7 32 bits
Nvidia GeForce gtx 285 (two dvi ports, no hdmi port)
AMD Phenom II X4 965
Nvidia Driver version : 9.16.13.2723 (September 2013)

Here's my scenario:

The Nvidia card has two DVI ports, port number 1 usually goes to the primary screen, port number two to the secondary screen. I had a VGA monitor and a HDTV. The HDTV had to be connected to port number 1, otherwise I had a No Signal output. And I had a DVI -> VGA adapter, so I had no problems there.

Works:
Port 1
DVI to HDMI for a HDTV Samsung TV
Port 2
DVI to VGA Monitor (Old Hyundai monitor), using an adapter

Doesn't work:
Port 1
DVI to VGA Monitor (Old Hyundai monitor)
Port 2
DVI to HDMI HDTV Samsung TV

So the primary screen had to be the Samsung TV (Bios and such had to be displayed there)

Now I want to get rid of my VGA monitor and plug a brand new Dell Ultrasharp. But there isn't a way to have both the Dell monitor and the HDTV to work at the same time. Apparently they both need to be plugged to Port 1 to work. I'm using a DVI to DVI cable for the monitor.

When plugging any of them at port 2, the OS detects them and the Nvidia Panel acts as if it were working, but I never get signal in neither of them.

What I've tried:
Formatting the PC and installing the drivers again
Trying other HDTVs
Updating Nvidia drivers

I'm willing to format, update BIOS or whatever that could work.

Thanks a lot you are all awesome!!

sbasurco

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
Thanks for replying, I've edited my post because I didn't quite explain myself. Using a VGA monitor with a DVI to VGA adapter works. What doesn't work is using a DVI monitor (Dell UltraSharp U2212HM) using a DVI to DVI cable.
However, this only happens for my card's port number 2, port number 1 works well for both the DVI enabled Dell monitor and my HDMI HDTV.

sbasurco

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

I don't. I have two DVI ports in my Nvidia card. I want one of them to go to the HDTV (via DVI to HDMI cable) and the other DVI for the Dell monitor (using a DVI to DVI cable).
Do you mean it's not possible to have two full DVI working?...

Also, if I only plug the DVI monitor in port number 2, it doesn't work. It only works when plugged in port 1 of the Graphics card.

Regards!

sbasurco

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

But it has two Dual link DVI ports, besides from the TV output. It should be able to output through both of them. The TV I'm using is receiving through an DVI -> HDMI cable.
Also, both the Dell (DVI) monitor and the TV don't work if plugged alone in Port number 2. But they do work when plugged in Port 1.

sbasurco

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

Thanks for all the replies mate, in the images you mention, they also show an Nvidia gtx 295 without SLI which is pretty similar to my 285, and in one of the settings they are using the two DVI ports. Also my card doesn't have an HDMI port so it's not possible to use an HDMI to HDMI cable.

The thing is I don't think Port 2 is broken, because it works for VGA (using a DVI to VGA adapter), both for my new Dell monitor and the old VGA only one.

Might be something to do with the motherboard, PCIe or something related... I'll dig deeper into that. Any info would be much appreciated. :)