Huge fps differences in certain games, why?

aflumbahgee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hello people.

Why is it i get a large fps differences in these two games: Chivalry deadliest warrior and planetside 2. I seem to get lower fps when there are more people in a an area.

Also what i find very annoying is that even if i change the graphic settings the fps stays the same. I can play ultra everything or lowest but still the same, why?

My pc specs:

i5 3470
4gb ram
120gb ssd
1tb hdd
2gb gtx 660

Is there a limiting factor? if so what is it?

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I play planestside 2 a lot. You are most likely CPU limited. A lot of people are even with nice computers, thats why they recently did a lot of optimization patches.

In game press ALT-F.
On the bottom left you'll get a frames per second counter. IF the word CPU appears, then you are CPU limited, if GPU limited then you are GPU limited. It might take a little bit to see CPU or GPU, just give it a minute of running around.

Changing resolutions and not seeing any difference is very typical of being CPU limited.
CPU has to handle all the positions of the people, planes, tanks, etc... and with a lot of people around it quickly builds up.

You might benefit from additional ram, depending on what else you have running in addition to the games.
You can gain a little performance by making sure your background programs are at a minimum. Disable what you can.

aflumbahgee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

What kind of CPU do you need to run planetside 2 properly with minimum 60 fps even for example a full on fight in a bio lab?

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I am not sure.
I recently purchased a new i7-4930k and supporting hardware. Ask me again in a week or so when the parts arrive!

Did you play the game a while with the ALF-F FPS meter open? Did you see CPU come up often?

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Hey,
Thought I would give you an update.
I have my system all up and running, I have NOT spent any time optimizing BIOS settings or doing ANY overclock work.

i7-4930
16GB Gskill Ripjawz (4x4gb)
ASUS Rampage IV extreme MB

I get great frame rates now. Usually pegged at 60 FPS (smoothing is enabled). However STILL in large battles, particularly near Biodomes I can dip under 30 FPS for a moment.

I am largely GPU limited now (GTX590), but I do see CPU come up once in a while, again usually near very large battles.

In short Planetside 2 is not well optimized, despite Sony's recent work, which did help.
With my set-up I should be tearing up the frames per second, but again there could be a minor setting in BIOS limiting me that I haven't looked at yet.

Hope this helps you.

aflumbahgee

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012

Thanks for the update, it seems to get a decent frame rate in large fights u need the top of the line hardware which is also overclocked like your processor and a gtx 780 or something. Kinda annoying coz most people have average gaming pc specs.

Need thaT 8gb ram but its so expensive, used to be half the price a year ago...

very helpful tho thanks :p