Looking for second opinions on a new monitor

Jul 16, 2013
I'm considering replacing my fairly old 16'' monitor, and I'm wanting a second opinion on this new one before I buy (here, or here if you prefer Newegg's website

It's the BenQ XL2420TE. It's one of the only ones I've seen that seems specifically designed for gaming, which makes me think it should be pretty great for everything else as well (at least that was my philosophy when building my PC, and that seemed to work out well :D). But some of the review seem to say that it can hurt your eyes for non-gaming activities, but is this true? My pc is optimized for gaming but I frequently use it for other things as well, so will this be and issue?

So, how does this monitor stack up? Would my money be better spend somewhere else, or should I wait until that G-sync stuff comes out?

Solution
What's 'best' depends on what you want or need. Like the difference between TN (like the BenQ) and IPS.

Better color production means more accurate colors as seen by the eye. The difference is very obvious when you put an IPS beside a TN.

The problem with your TV is just the brightness and gamma which is making the image too bright and hurting your eyes. If you can't reduce the brightness to acceptable levels without losing detail, means it's just a bad screen. Some TVs are just brighter because they are meant to be viewed from a few metres away.

Here's a good one that I'm using myself...

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
I think that $300 is a bit steep for a 24" monitor.
If you want to get the most out of gamming from this monitor, you could get something bigger for less.
From my experience, the size of the monitor is what counts most when gamming. I mean, all the high end specs are great and stuff but there is nothing better than a huge screen. You will forget about all of the details in no time once you have that big-a#@ screen in front of you!!
Believe me there will be times when you have friends over and the 24" split screen just will not do it.

If you have some spare time, walk into any shop (selling monitors) and stand in front of a 24" and then do the same with a 27" that costs about the same.
Try that out before making up your mind..

That BenQ is a fine monitor for gaming, it won't hurt your eyes as long as it's not too bright while reading plain text.

It comes at a premium because it sports ultra low response times and ability to display at 144Hz (up to 144fps in games)
It is not really necessary unless you play shooter games competitively, or demand very fluid images.

You can get an IPS monitor that is cheaper. Although IPS cannot have the super response times or display higher than 60Hz (officially), it makes up for them with clearly superior color production and wider viewing angles.

Jul 16, 2013

yeah, I'm starting to think along those lines myself, do you guys have any suggestions for a good IPS one for gaming?
I actually have two other (free) upgrade options to consider, namely in that a friend of mine works at a company that is moving their offices and he said he could probably pick me up a monitor that is at least 19" (about 3 inches bigger than what I'm using, and probably better resolution). Furthermore, I also have a "26" Class HD 720p LED TV" elsewhere in the house that isn't getting much use, so I could try hooking that up as a free monitor. I'd like opinions on these, as I haven't seen a whole lot of monitors so I don't know what's considered "best" :p

And could someone give me a good idea of what exactly "color reproduction" means? Is it how accurate the colors are to real life, or how much the colors seem to glow? And if a monitor has "bad" color reproduction, does that mean that everything looks like you're seeing it through a filter, or that it just isn't glowing as much? I ask because on that HDTV I have the colors are REALLY bright, almost to the point that they seem to glow, and I found it actually hurts my eyes and I have to keep fiddling with it because I either can't see well or the huge glowy-ness comes back. So I'm wondering if lower color may be a good thing for me...

So anyway, those are my thoughts so far. I think that I'll need to have a decision by Thursday, as that's my main day to order one if I'm going to and my friend wanted to know if I wanted that free monitor by Friday. And thanks to all of you for helping me work through this decision ;)

What's 'best' depends on what you want or need. Like the difference between TN (like the BenQ) and IPS.

Better color production means more accurate colors as seen by the eye. The difference is very obvious when you put an IPS beside a TN.

The problem with your TV is just the brightness and gamma which is making the image too bright and hurting your eyes. If you can't reduce the brightness to acceptable levels without losing detail, means it's just a bad screen. Some TVs are just brighter because they are meant to be viewed from a few metres away.

Here's a good one that I'm using myself
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8014171&SRCCODE=LINKSHARE&cm_mmc_o=-ddCjC1bELltzywCjC-d2CjCdwwp&utm_source=Linkshare&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=8BacdVP0GFs&AffiliateID=8BacdVP0GFs-JZhcKH6ZVkoA3U_gIFxuoA

Solution