Ready to Buy & Build First Gaming PC--Need Lots of Input! PCPartsPicker List Up!

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
This was just quickly thrown together, but it's at least a start. I'm relatively happy with it--super excited! I also managed to get parts that were all on Amazon Prime, so it's all free 2-day shipping! http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2jz5d

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory 9 CAS
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer
Case: NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit)

Total Cost: $1163.33

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60

And here is the copied/pasted list of things from the how to ask for build advice thread ^_^

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP, within 1 week definitely.

Budget Range: Anywhere between $1,000 and $1,300. There's definitely wiggle room for shipping and for upgrades if they're cost effective.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: High-end gaming, surfing the internet, graphic design, watching movies

Are you buying a monitor: Not at first--sacrificing a second monitor for a few weeks so that I can get comfortable with the computer initially and also have more to spend on the performance. But, I will definitely be using 2 monitors in the future, so keep that in mind if it matters at all. I'll be playing Dark Souls on one monitor and streaming Parks and Rec on the other! Things like that :)

Do you need to buy OS: Yes. I have no preference between Windows 7 or 8 really. I heard that Windows 8.1 is better for memory and games run better on it, so I'm leaning more toward that.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon w/ Amazon Prime, but it's not a deal-breaker if there's a much better deal elsewhere.

Parts Preferences: No real preference, just what all will come together to be even in performance with no bottle-necking!

Overclocking: No, I don't think so. I don't think I should need to bother with overclocking with how much I'm spending--definitely don't want to risk and PC damage since I'm a novice at overclocking and it should be able to run any game with decent settings at a solid framerate.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe, depending on whether or not SLI/Crossfire are really worth it performance-wise and don't sacrifice any reliability.

Your Monitor Resolution: I've always used 1920 x 1080, but if anyone has a case for anything bigger than that and if it's worth it, I'm happy to listen.

Additional Comments: I'll just really need a lot of back & forth on each component. I'm sorry, I don't want to be needy or bothersome, but I need to be super confident in my build! I'll need to know how/why each component is good, what it does, and why it's better than others or is a better fit for the build. Otherwise, here is a link to my steam library of games (most of which I haven't played yet, due to my current PC not being able to handle them). Plus I play Diablo 3 and Starcraft II. Other than that, I don't run any significant software, just things like Spotify, Skype, and Steam. I will say that I would really love a decent sized SSD for my OS and my main games to be on, so if that could be factored into the budget, that'd be great. Maybe even just go solely with SSD for everything, keeping in mind that I don't keep music, tv shows, or movies on my computer. All the space on my harddrive is pretty much just video games! But, if the SSD sacrifices too much in the way of other components, then we can leave it for later.

One last thing is that I want to reiterate that I have no experience actually building a PC! I'll need to be absolutely certain that are components are compatible, the tower is spacious enough for the components and allows for all ports to be accessed, and I'll need advice on how to build it of course. Granted, we can cross that bridge when we get to it, so for now I'll just need to be doubly sure that everything is compatible and perfect before I purchase it.

And that's all for now! Like I said, if there are any questions at all, shoot! I'm ready to dedicate tons of time to this research. Thanks so much for all your help! I look forward to building this PC :D

MDXX

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
OP. You should check out PCpartpicker

Make a list, post it here and let us give you comments on it. That way you can learn in the process and we can teach you a few things while your at it!

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
That's perfect ^_^ I definitely want to learn during this process, so teach me everything!

Did ya miss the hyperlink I had with my old PCpartpicker build in it? Or didja just want me to try a shot at a new build? I'm so clueless about all the components now--I lost all that information I had gathered at the beginning of the year when I took my first shot at this! But for reference, here was my old build.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GzWl

MDXX

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Well you prefer Intel, Though i will say check out the FX 8350. Heck since you want to play D3 (love that game, currently playing it myself) and Sc2 and regular everyday use from your post you really dont need an i5. Look at the fx 6300. Unless you really want top notch gear

M0kujin

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card ($319.99 @ B&H)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1111.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-13 00:33 EST-0500)

Since you can go upto 1300 including shipping. I bumped your build to this.
I won't explain it here, just read and watch the reference sites below
Reference:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen
http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=9283&game=Watch%20Dogs&title=Watch%20Dogs%20System%20Requirements%20Increased
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1TOiPppKX8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Cj8RP4kEGo

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks very much, both of you! Really helpful. Now, I'm definitely leaning toward the AMD FX 8350 :) Definitely seems like a good call.

Now I'm just getting into the annoying part of the research where I need lots of questions answered. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say we can build around the AMD FX 8350 now, so I'm looking on to other parts. But, I'm concerned with certain features of components.

Like, say I'm randomly looking at the ASRock 970 Extreme4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-motherboard-970extreme4)
I don't understand some of it! I do understand that 4x 240-pin DIMM with the DDR3 memory type it has means that I can have up to 4x high speed RAM sticks with 8 GB each. But, I have no idea what SATA/eSATA means (5 SATA 6gb/s and 1 eSATA 6gb/s). Is it important?

And for memory, do I need higher or lower CAS and DDR3-? Is 9 CAS with 1600 DDR-3 good enough, like with the Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb DDR3-1600 memory sticks?

As for Video Cards, I'm pretty much just lost. How much memory does my video card need (just 2gb?), what memory type and interface does it need, and what should the core clock be?

So many questions, sorry! I've just gotta know exactly what I'm getting and that I won't be missing out on something big. Gotta have everything compatible now! But for now, we'll just stick to CPU, Video Card, RAM, and Motherboard until we get those figured out, then we can move on to the rest. I'll edit my original post to incorporate some of these, now that we're getting a little bit more specific. Thanks for your help so far!

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Well, I decided to throw together a pcpartpicker list before I went to bed! I'm actually pretty happy with how it looks, but I'd love input!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2jz5d

Main concerns are the power supply (750watt overkill?), whether I should get a ~128gb SSD just for my OS and programs and save my games on a 1TB HD or if I should get a 256gb SSD so I could put some games on it, and also whether or not I need to buy anything else (thermal compounds, case fans, etc.). Also, I'm not sure if I need another optical drive just to fill the case. I'm never gonna use more than 1 at a time, but I'm just curious.

Thanks much!

M0kujin

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
That's great, I guess you're all good. 650w-700w Bronze is enough and much cheaper though. But will depends on your choice. But your build is great :) good luck

Selphious

Honorable
Feb 27, 2013
Thanks! Any other input, anyone? This build was just a quick rough draft before I went to bed last night, so I'm sure there are better options. Also, I'm clueless about a few things--like the CPU Cooler. Do I need a better one for this gaming-heavy pc? And what does sleeve-bearing mean? :O

As for the GFX Card, I pretty much just randomly picked a highly rated 770 within my price range. Is it a good card in relation to everything else? Don't want any bottlenecking!

And otherwise I just need as much input on this build as possible, thanks much!