Push vs. Push-Pull on H80i

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I originally had two Corsair SP120 fans running push-pull on my H80i, but it always became a bit too noisy for my liking as soon as the fans surpassed 1300RPM. Their performance is unbeatable, but I just wish they had quieter motors. I decided to give single push fan configuration a try, so I picked up a Noiseblocker eLoop B12-P to run as push. I don't expect to get the same level of cooling performance with this configuration, but I can run the eLoop at a higher RPM than the SP120 without producing too much noise. But now I wonder whether I should stick with push only or add another one for push-pull. This particular fan is very expensive, so if the performance benefit of adding a pull fan is marginal, it definitely wouldn't be worth the cost. Provided that the eLoop has above average static pressure, do you think I would see a significant improvement if I add a pull fan?

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I'm using a Fractal Design Node 304, so the only real exhaust is the 120mm fan and radiator mounted at the back of the case. I am experiencing slightly above average ambient temps due to the system components being in such a confined space. The only intake is from the two 92mm fans at the front of the case, which I believe isn't quite powerful enough, so I'll gladly take a recommendation there as well. I can feel the air from those intake fans with my hand, but the stream doesn't quite reach the radiator push fan. I've got all of these case/radiator fans running from the motherboard PWM headers and controlled via ASUS Fan Xpert 2. The SP120's were just noisy at anything above 1200RPM.