Am I pushing my GPU too hard?

BellTower76

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I just built a new system with an EVGA GeForce 780. I've heard lots about BattleField 4 (but never played till now) so I decided to give it a try and to push things I set all the graphics settings to Ultra to max things out. Much to my surprise, the graphics look awesome, there is no stuttering, and it runs smooth as silk. I'm running at 1920x1200 if that matters. I altered the fan speed control in the Precision software so that the fan speed curve is pretty steep (a straight line going up 2 blocks on the graph for every one to the side, sorry I don't remember exactly what the settings were) and the GPU temperature hits around 56C-60C with the fans running at 100%. I have no idea how to check my FPS in BF4 so I can't say what I'm getting there.

My question is, am I running the card too hard? Is this acceptable for long term usage? Should I kick the graphics settings back down to High? Should I adjust the fan speed to let things get hotter before they reach 100%?

BellTower76

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
I should have been more specific. I know 60C is decent at load so I'm not worried about that. I'm more concerned that the fans might die an early death from being run at 100% for long periods of time.

Try installing speedfan and manually adjusting speeds. If you don't get too high temps, you're good to go. Also, 780 has max temps of 95C allowed, so you should be able to do away with higher temps.