New fan.. not to sure if temps are normal..

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I broke my CPU fan, it was just a stock fan, on the BIOS it showed 77... and if I left it on long enough hit would go much higher, anyway I since I broke the fan I decided to buy a new one (better one) my budget was small.. so I bought.... "Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2"... what was quite an update in terms of a stock cooler, installed the fan went to BIOS.. it was around 50 ish.. when I got on wins 7, I opened a temp checker.. and it appears to just be sitting at 60c... not sure if that's good or not? my processor is... "Intel(R) Core(TM) I7-2600k@ 3.40, GHz" quadcore, if I game or even overclock it by using Primer65 a pc stress tester, it still sits at 60, so I am not sure if the program is detecting correctly, any help would be good.

UPDATE: just opened a different temp checker called... "openhardwaremonitor" and its showing the temp of.. around 41... not sure what to believe

UPDATE: I took my fan off twice.. resat it.. twice, no change, I decided to take off the thermal as it looked like it wasn't on correctly, the fan came pre-applied.. with out the thermal my temps have went up even higher.. all my cores have maxes of 50 at idle..... here's my new plan, going to buy new thermal.. (suggest if possible) was thinking about "Arctic Silver AS5 3.5g, High-Density Polysynthetic Silver "... and get some cleaning stuff called.. "Arctic Silver Arcticlean"

sorry for the lots of Updates.. this was posted on an other forum.. and no one is replying.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
That last bit about the artic silver paste and cleaner should help your temps a bunch.

You should be getting 25-35c idle temps (depending on airflow of case and ambient air temp).

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
Well.. I cannot really say how my air flow in my case is.. I assume my fan at the front brings in the air.. and my back fan takes it out.... but even with my brand new fan.. and it had thermal already on it.. my idle temps still 40 c.. I resat it twice.. and was still the same, the pre-applied thermal looked messed up.. and took it off, and my room temp is never that hot.

mx4 is better for beginners and easier to apply then as5 and preforms better

also the arctic cleaner is good

apply arctic cleaner get cpu get cpu well clean make sure to remove it from motherboard so excess doesnt drip into socket

then dry chip place back in and lock it in place

apply a pea size ammount and spread evenly over the surface with a gift plastic card ( no credit cards or anything with metal or paint as this will get into the thermal paste and make temps soar.) do not lift card up while apply make sure you can not see the metal plate then once you have a even thin layer place your cpu cooler back on and attach do not let it slip or move away from processor or you will break the air tight seal and thus will get soaring temps again

once its attached properly go around the socket on the motherboard with a cotton swab to collect any fallen thermal paste squeezed out. attach fan boot up

thermal temps should be 30c -35c idle full load 50c-55c

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
with out paste my current temps are around 44 ish area.. just jump up and down alot, when it was pre-applied I was getting maybe 41-43c.. full load near 70.. the paste that came pre-applied.. looked messed up when I tried to resat the fan.. so I guess ill just need to try again some time.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
Yes, that would be a good idea, although using programs like prime95 won't really reflect real apps, you should try running a CPU bound game and checking the temps your CPU reaches.

when you seated it you made air bubbles which will cause temp rises

if paste was messed up to start with it could have been a bad batch of preapplied without paste between it you could sky rocket

NewBorn92

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
yes.. under the fan the thermal paste looked all weird and I could see abit of the processor.. it wasn't flat...and smooth, so maybe that was my issue.. once the thermal is applied correctly, I should see improvements.. my fan does have a big heat sink.. so I don't need to worry to much about it dieing on me.. but I will get the new thermal... just not sure what thermal to get.

Mx4 thermal paste is usually best

when choosing paste your going by the number

Thermal Conductivity (W/mk)

the higher the number the better the heat transfer.

so far i can only find mx4 to be best paste

if memory serves correctly mx2 was your old paste

which had a conductivity of 4 mx 4 has 8 conductivity

There are two types of temperature readings: CPU Socket and CPU Core.

HWMonitor usually does a good job of displaying both; Coretemp will display the Core temperatures.

Get Prime95, which is a stress test to put your CPU at load conveniently and consistently, and run it, then cross-reference the two programs.

TRENDING THREADS