Liquid-Cooled i7 running 100c!

ruger0369

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
Setup: i7 Haswell 4770 cooled with a corsair H-60 liquid cooler push/pull configuration on ASUS Maximus IV Hero MB, 8g RAM (gskill sniper series), cosair 650 psu, 8 corsair static pressure fans (4 in/4 out), samsung 120g ssd, WD 1 TB hdd black, MSI Nvidia 760 gpu, Cosair full tower case.

Idle temps rune between 27c and 35c. Good right? When I run prime95, 100c in less than 2 minutes! I don't understand??? I have tried three different thermal compounds. Ceramic, Liquid Ultra, and now Arctic Silver 5. This is the hottest it's ran yet. All three of them have reached 95c or higher. I use a rice-grain size dab of paste and spread thin with a powder-free rubber glove and until the entire chip has a thin layer (almost see-through). I prep the chip and cooling unit with Arctic silver's cleaning and prep liquids each time before applying any thermal compound.

I plug my liquid cooler's pump into the MB's CPU fan connection and it runs at 4450RPM. The push/pull fans run about 550RPM's.

I've tried everything and am losing hope. Suggestions?

Typolo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Funny, i have the same results with the 4770k stock cooler.

I'm no expert and I don't think it would make a huge difference, but have you allowed the paste time to burn in?
All else i can think of is that the water block isn't seated properly

ruger0369

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I haven't given it time. It's only been a few hours. I'm just inclined to feel that these temps, being what they were the last two go-around's, are going to remain the same. I did notice that the thermal paste wan't touching the cooler in one small area when I took it off today. I guess the seating wasn't optimal, but I did make sure to tighten the corners evenly and crank them tight today. I'm starting to think, after reading a few other threads on the subject, that the i7 is just a hot running cpu (ie: you are having the same problem). I find it hard to believe that it can run that hot and not shut down, which it did not. I don't get any screen freezing or warnings either. The only difference between my situation and others I have read up on is that all the others were using a heat-sync. Shouldn't the extra mulla I forked out for a liquid-cooler make a temp difference? Is there any consensus on this?

Typolo

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
from what I have seen online, the lower end all in one water coolers preform on par or sometimes lower than a lot of air coolers. the H90, 100, 100i, and 110 are where you get the water cooled experience for the all in ones. Custom loops are where water cooling really pays off but a basic set up will cost over $200
As to the processor itself I have heard its in part to the IHS from intel is to blamefor the overheating in most haswell processors, but i haven't found the idea of tearing open my processor with a box cutter to appealing

XxX1

Honorable
Dec 14, 2013
U should check the contact of heatsink to cpu. And apply enough force to make sure the contact between them propely.