Read only drive issues

Jingkun

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
So I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot but here goes anyways.

So I just had a weird server failure the other day so after thinking a about it a bit I decided that I had an i7 system lying around that I didn't wanna get rid of and that the AM2 tri-core I was running had seen enough. So I load all 5 drives in the soon to be server and reload windows 7 onto this system to get going. I know 7 isn't a server os but its just for at home file sharing and storage and maybe some game servers. Well I get into 7 and do all the updates and get everything setup and as I'm looking around I find that all my folders in these drives are set to read-only and I can't undo them.

Now I've looked around a bit and apparently it can show as read only in the disk manager but mine don't, also any new folder I create on these drives is also set to read only and will not change. So now that I can't put any of my music on the server as I buy it I've lost my storage location and can't seem to find a way to make these work stock. Oh almost forgot, I also put in a new drive and initialized and formatted from within the new install and that was still giving me the read only issues. So far I've tried this on windows 7 home premium, win7 ultimate, and windows 8 all with the same issue. Any help appreciated.

Have you tried changing permissions on the drives? If not, this:
1) Right click on one of the drives
2) Click on Properties
3) Click on the Security tab
4) Check to see what permissions you have
5) You can try to give yourself full control
If that doesn't work you could try clicking on the Advanced button and then clicking on the Owner tab and change ownership to you.

Let me know if any/none of this helps and I will see what else I can find on the problem. Just out of curiosity are you using the same user name and password that you used before? Not sure it will make a difference but it might. If not, try creating a new admin account using the same username and password you had before and see if that helps.

Just thought about this - if you can't gain full control then you might not be able to take ownership of the drive.

Jingkun

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

This is roughly where I started. I changed permissions to full control as well as took ownership of the folders, however it still wouldn't let me remove the read only status. I think I used the original username and password at the beginning but still nothing. I've just never seen anything like this and it even affected the new drive that was formatted on the new system as it was. It's as though it won't give me ownership of anything... except the c drive.

To throw it out there these are all spinning disks of mixed brands and sizes. 2 of these are 2tb, 1 is 1tb, 1 is 4tb, and the system install drive is 160gb. The board is a P8H77-I from asus.

Jingkun

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I'm starting to want to smash my head into the table now. I formatted one of the drives on another computer and when the server booted up with the fresh drive it wanted to initalize the drive.... When I tried to tell it to go MBR it said the drive wasn't ready so I rebooted and it was already MBR and formatted, but now disk management says that it is a read only drive.... just kill me, this has happened twice now

and after trying to remove read only from the folders that i copied over its still broken...

I don't know if something like GParted (http://gparted.org/) will help or not but may be worth looking into. It is a free download.
This is an older post regarding a second drive being read only on a computer running Vista: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c6c6edc0-f7e4-42f1-a376-cfad751f2357/vista-second-hard-drive-in-read-only-mode
If you haven't tried this you could go into Control Panel>System>Device Manager and right click on a drive, select Properties, then click on the Driver tab, uninstall the driver for that drive and then reboot to see if that makes a difference.

Jingkun

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
I've thought about partition magic but the fact that it wont run with the os kinda bothers me. At this point I'm starting to think that the sata controllers on the board are dead. I'm giving the hardware it was on before a shot before I give up though.

UPDATE: Given where I'm at now having put everything back in with the old hardware it's running just like it used to. So I'm sitting on a bad Asus board... again. Given my own personal experience with Asus now and this other computer that was giving me issues having gone through about 6 Asus boards I'm probably done with Asus for at least a few years. Thanks for all the help you tried to bring up for me Ken, just wish I was actually able to get it working off this i7.