New Medicine for you Spoiled Bundle of Joy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 217926

I sure am glad I looked. I almost banned on title alone........So very similar to nonsensical spam posts. :pt1cable:

I am terribly sorry.
Guessing my sttempt at being humorous failed.

We coudl talk about medicine, mods permitting? I am the OP, I would allow talks about medicine as long as everyone stays decent in their rhetoric and avoids conspiracy stuff,( this goes for all party thinkers!)

D

Deleted member 217926

Didn't mean to spoil your post. I just read the title and thought for sure I was going to be banning some 'order valium online' spammers we have been getting lately.

By all means discuss meds! I'm all about better living through chemistry! :lol:

Back toward the end of the last century the smooth muscle relaxants / anyxolics from the Benzidiazepine group were one of the most favoured long term drugs for treating mild depression and particularly anxiety.

The drug of choice for millions of middle aged women.

I had to take them once when I was in the army and recovering from an injury to my back - after a week on them I threw them away.

They turned me into a mindless zombie ... all I did was listen to music and sleep.

I guess they helped with the strained muscles I had down one side of my back though ... the rest did them good.

Stupid things if your an active sporty type ... they just zap your will.

They are also used a lot for post seizure stabiisation, post surgery particularly where muscles are an issue.

Becuase dosage is important and they are an addictive drug they need to be prescribed by a doctor ... not a witch doctor via some Ukrainian tablet press courtesy of a beer brewer who thinks he can upgrade to a chemist with a few quickfit parts and a recipe from Dr Doom on the internet.

Always get your meds from a pharmacy prescribed from a Doctor.

Otherwise you might be taking Estrogen tablets and end up growing tits ... not a good look on a guy who is lookign to impress the ladies.

In hindsight today there is probably a market and interest in that ... ewww!

D

Deleted member 217926

In fact in the UK a significant percentage of the population was prescribed benzodiazepines. It was found that these drugs were dangerous. Dangerous like alcohol and barbiturates are dangerous. You quit them quickly and they kill you dangerous. Even heroin although it will make you sick for weeks generally will not kill you like the GABA drugs will.

So an entire generation had to be weaned off the drugs. And a doctor named Ashton came up with what is generally considered to be the only safe way to quit, by titrating or stopping a small percentage of the drug a day or even a week. It's generally considered to be best to take a very long time to quit benzos rather than to do it too quickly.

Even with a titration lasting weeks to months some people can develop a long term benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome lasting years in some cases and it can even be permanent for an unfortunate few. The shorter the half life the worse the withdrawal. Valium has one of the longest half lives and is the drug of choice to get people off the more abusable drugs like Xanax. It's almost impossible to get a prescription for benzos in the UK to this day unless you have a seizure disorder.

Amazing what you pick up being a life long insomniac :) I took Klonopin for a while and still have scrips for Ambien and Ativan but I don't use them more than once or twice a week. Too dangerous. I quit the klonopin for the same reason as you Reynod, they helped me sleep but they made me a zombie.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Noooo ^^ you don't have to be sorry.
You owned me; i though i could improve my medical vocabulary.. (and actually, with the two last messages, i am !!)

Careful Rey, every one doesn't react as you with muscle relaxants (for example). Some people are very responsive to them. I guess you are. :)
But you're right no drug should not be taken lightly and without medical advice.

Oxazepam was the one Nanna was on called Serepax by trade name... it was a bastard for her to get off them at 65.

She is 88 now and grumpier than ever but we love her.

She gave one to my wife on our wedding day ... maybe in hindsight I should have left her on them.

Now the lolly of choice for these range of ailments are SSRI's and SNRI's.

I'll let you google them for yourself but they seem to do a lot better job for depressive ilnesses.

The older trycyclics / MAO's are largely discontinued now.

Benzodiazepines, barbiturates, and alcohol all are GABA agonists and have the possibility of fatal withdrawal symptoms (mainly seizures.) Alcohol is easily the most common agent to cause these (delirium tremens, or "DTs") because it's so widely abused. Benzos are a problem too but much less so than booze. Barbiturates are very rarely used today and when they are, it's typically only in the hospital and for perioperative or ICU sedation or for pediatric seizures. Which drug is used for alcohol and benzo/barbiturate withdrawal is very much region-specific but it will be a medium or long-acting medication. My region doesn't use much Valium. Most places use lorazepam (Ativan) because it's a little faster to onset and available IV and oral. It's pretty much the inpatient benzo of choice for anything from agitation to seizures. Some use chlordiazepoxide (Librium) for alcohol withdrawal because it's a very long-acting benzo and works very well, but just not very quickly.

Yes, it's a DEA schedule I in the U.S. I think nitrazepam is available north of the border though.

MAOIs are pretty well gone since a lot of common medications and foods could interact with them and cause cardiovascular side effects. TCAs however are very common. They fell out of favor as antidepressants but are quite widely used for neuropathic pain, myofascial pain/fibromyalgia, and for chronic (migraine, tension, etc.) headaches.

I did hear a funny joke from a surgery tech in the hospital a while back. They were still using paper records and he was putting in orders for the surgeon he worked with. There was a new pharmacist in the hospital so he played a prank on the pharmacist. The tech wrote "mecoxaflopin 1 g IV q8h" on the order sheet and sent it down to the pharmacy. The staff in post-op were absolutely roaring with laughter after the pharmacist called back (the tech turned on the speakerphone) asking what drug the tech ordered. (Sound it out.)

SSRIs are very commonly used to treat depression and anxiety. The NDRIs (mainly bupropion) can be used to treat depression but aren't generally seen to be as effective. It is generally used when people can't tolerate the sexual side effects of the SSRIs. Bupropion is also used as a somewhat effective medication for smoking cessation (Zyban).

About the only people that would get anything out of abusing SSRIs and NDRIs would be people who are bipolar as the added serotonin can put them in a manic state. Lots of them like feeling "up" which is why they hate taking their bipolar meds as it makes them feel only normal.

I watched the news cast this weekend about this kid.

IMO, him and his parents should be dragged into the town square and put on display as prime examples of how NOT to raise your children. And that a-hole lawyer needs to be dis-barred and censured and NEVER allowed to practice law in these United States for the rest of his life. The fact that he killed four people and then gets off because "he didn't know any better" is the pinnacle of the destruction of morality and praise of ignorance that has over taken decency and common sense in our culture.

Before we know it the next douche bag mental case schizophrenic that shoots up a school full of kids will get off because he "didn't understand right from wrong because his perception of reality was skewed".

Fvck*ng disgusting!

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011

Oh, yes, humiliation is THE solution....

Deaths by guns is the price to pay if you want that everybody can bear guns.

Ok gropouce...and observational learning has been scientifically proven not to work...oh please! :sarcastic: :pfff:

No...death by guns is the unfortunate consequences of a society that breeds fear of and demonizes guns; as opposed to the proper use, responsible handling, and the privilege of ownership.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Sorry to say this, Chunky, I know that our differences of pov are mostly cultural, but from here, it's middle-age ... we put the guilty in the pillory, you know.
Added to that, i don't know what your society tells about guns, but again, from here, we can't see that much people demonizing guns in your country, only that stupid Charlton Heston. (no offense, eh)

There are those who think that the idea of morals is a construct. It is subjective. By that, the act the kid did was just part of human nature.

One reason I am more of a fan of alturism. Morals is, I believe, an evolutionary advantage for our race.

gropouce

Distinguished
May 1, 2011
Sorry for that little national pride, but...

www.theverge.com/2013/12/21/5233228/carmat-artificial-heart-implanted-in-first-patient

THAT is amazing... can you imagine how many people expected this ?? (even if it's just the start)

Status
Not open for further replies.