Why does my vga connected Dell 23 ST2310 flat panel monitor (connected to a Dell Studio XPS 435t desktop) go all black except

pmgtwo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have a Dell Studio XPS 435t Desktop and a Dell Inspiron 560 sharing a Dell 23 ST2310 flat panel monitor via an IOGEAR two port KVM switch. I have a Samsung 7100 HDTV that I connected to the Studio XPS video card's HDMI port and It worked beautifully, better than I expected. However the Dell monitor went completely black except for the cursor which lights up when I move the mouse. According to the specs, the Radeon 4350 video card in the XPS is able to drive two displays simultaneously. Is the KVM switch causing this problem, and if so, is there an affordable workaround?

pmgtwo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I have two Dell Desktop towers connected to one Dell monitor via a two port KVM switch. The KVM switch is connected to the monitor by VGA and to the PCs by USB.

pmgtwo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I currently have one display, a Dell 23" flat panel monitor. I recently purchased a Samsung 7100 LED HDTV that I want to hook up to one of the PCs so that, with a wireless keyboard/mousepad I can work on my PC in my living room using the Samsung as a monitor. I've hooked up the TV directly to one of the PCs by a 40' HDMI cable and the results were outstanding. I still have to buy a wireless keyboard. The problem is when I hook up the TV I can see my desktop on the TV perfectly but the Dell monitor goes black.

gokul36

Distinguished

U have Connected your dell Monitor Via "VGA" port?

pmgtwo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I've right-clicked on my Desktop and clicked on Screen Resolution but that offers limited options - Detect, Identify, Display, Resolution, Orientation, Make Text Larger or Smaller. Advanced settings offers Color Management, Adapter, Monitor ( see above ), Troubleshoot and ATI Catalyst Control Center. The ATI Control Center only offers Graphics Software and Hardware Information. I can't find any other way to effect any change in the graphics display.

gokul36

Distinguished
The problem....u connected one Monitor via "HDMI(digital) " and "VGA(Analog)"

"reason for having two different type of connectors is to allow you to connect either an analog or a digital display to your PC"

not both at same time.....only one Port works... it's Digital

pmgtwo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I've found a two port DVI KVM switch online but before I buy that I think I'll take the KVM switch out of the loop and try a different cable configuration and see if that works. Thanks for your help. Have a great holiday.

gokul36

Distinguished

if u Plug in to DVI port....sure it wil work and dont use VGA to DVI convertor