Steam OS a bit of a let down?

Hi community

so like many of you, I've been following the development of Steam OS closely and have been really excited about it. however, it seems that even with the release version coming up in Janurary, it will not feature key windows game streaming feature... which ends up making it not too different from some of the other Linux consoles on the market :(

that aside, I was originally hoping that they'd eventually push for OS level optimizations for gaming, which at this rate seems like another pipe dream (let's face it, we don't need all that windows stuff running in the background just to game, and would probably get a nice 10-20% performance boost if we can get a super lean OS running the stuff)

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013

Have faith good will prevail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIPggCgYK38
let that cheer you up, and I totally agree I think you hit the nail right on the head and a lot of us feel that way. Windows and OSX would take a SERIOUS blow from a gaming optimized OS Newell needs to pull through for us steam slaves pretty bad; if he chalks up a win on the SteamOS he chalks up a win for PC gamers everywhere...

What were you all expecting? It can't play Windows .exe's, so there goes 99% of the market. And of course its based on Linux; its free, why bother spending your own money on something you can get for free?

The only reason Value is pushing Linux is so they can sell more of their own titles. That's it. And once they realize sales won't budge (since WINE already enables that market to play games), they'll back off, just like every studio that came before.

I understand this... what I can't believe is that Valve doesn't understand that it can't sell more of its own titles using SteamOS since most of us will just get those titles on a windows PC. SteamOS needs to be more than a sales channel for Valve or it is doomed to flop

I know one thing for sure Valve has never failed at anything. Even when Steam came out back in those days, everyone complained about it, Now its the largest digital distribution platform

True, but users were forced to switch to steam when Valve shut down their WON servers. If you wanted to continue to play TFC and Counter Strike, you had to migrate to steam. With SteamOS, they will have to compete with other OS's that can run steam. I'm sure SteamOS will get better with time, but I don't know if they will have the success that the steam platform has for digital distribution.

I3lood Eagle

Honorable
Oct 1, 2013
honestly it's all just guesswork but I believe in Valve coming out on top. We will see when they actually get this performing like they envisioned it, and also you forget STEAM OS - $0 / Windows7/8/8+ - $100+. Not saying that Windows is bad(NOT at all) because it's a great OS; probably the best. All of that being said it's never been geared towards gamers, which are a huge part of the PC market. I think if they give even minimal increases 5-10%+ you will see the vast annex of gamers from Windows to SteamOS. Let us pray Newell doesn't let this become a bastard child, but actually supports it like he should that way we all win.

Side note: gaming rigs will go down in price too, $100 less could make all the difference to someone trying to make the change to a superior gaming solution... Just sayin'