Hard drive "migration" maybe RAID?

bushbaby1234

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
I am currently using a 5400rpm 1.5Tb and just bought 2 western digital RE3 7200rpm 1Tb drives.

First off i'm wondering if i can simply mirror my windows drive on to one of the 1Tb drives and it work without issue or if i need to reinstall.

Secondly i'm wondering if i should get a 3rd RE3 and do raid 5?
if the performance difference is noticeable enough to pay off.

1) You can either Reinstall or use a Free Program like EASEUS Partition manager and make the Raid 1 and then Clone your current windows to it. Then remove/format your old OS drive after you can make sure your booting from the Raid 1

2) A Raid 5 is mainly for redundancy. It WILL NOT be as fast as a Raid 1, 0, 10, 0+1 due to Parity bit overhead which can also tax the CPU a bit. If it was strictly data storage I'd say go for it but for an OS or a drive with a lot of writes it not as good.

I could just stick with the Raid 1. When you clone the OS it will resize the parititon to fit. If EASEUS Don't work Use Marcrium Reflect and make a Bootable Disk. The reason why i suggest Easus first is because its better at cloning OS partitions.

bushbaby1234

Honorable
Nov 17, 2012
sorry about bumping an old thread but i finally got around to trying to do this and i cannot get easus to resize the partion automatically. any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS