What does AMD currently use for the socket?

IdealIdeas

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I'm not very familiar with AMD processors.
What is the current socket that AMD making processors for?

I see AM2, AM2+, AM3, AM3+, FM1, FM2, and FM2+. What are the differences between them, which ones are the newer ones? ect ect...

My friend is considering upgrading his motherboard and processor and he likes AMD for it being powerful yet cheap.

vmN

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
am3+ is the newest version of AMDs AM socket, it supports the FX series.

FM2 is the newesy version of AMDs FM socket, it supports AMD athlon series and AMDs APUs.

jay_nar2012

Distinguished
The newest ones are AM3+ which are made for the FX range of CPUs and there is FM2 and the upcoming FM2+ which is mainly used for the most recent APUs.

AM2 is an old socket which came out in 2005/2006 and that was AMD's first DDR2 socket.

AM2+ is a slightly faster version of AM2 and has modified power lanes compared to AM2 but AM2 CPUs will work.

AM3 was made to support the newer version of RAM (which was DDR3 at the time).

AM3+ was made to support the FX series of CPUs better in terms of power and compatibility.

FM1 was made for AMD's first line of APUs and FM2 was made for their current line of APUs.

The difference in CPU is that AM2 supported DDR2 only and is the slowest socket out of them all but it supports AM2+/AM3 CPUs due to all AM2+ and AM3 CPUs having a DDR2 memory controller.

AM2+ is the same in terms of CPU support but is a bit faster but it will slow down to meet the specs of AM2 CPUs.

AM3 is only compatible with AM3 CPUs and AM3+ CPUs due to these CPUs having DDR3 controllers.

FM1 only supports FM1 APUs and CPUs and FM2 only supports FM2 APUs and CPUs.

If he has a AM2 motherboard then i will recommend that he upgrades to a Am3/AM3+ board if he want a system with a fast CPU or FM2+ APUs to come out if he wants a budget board with a decent CPU and integrated GPU solution.

am3 plus is for high end

but there focusing more on the fm2 plus boards at present

we have not seem much news of any new processors for am3 plus so they could be finishing up the am3 plus we just dont know yet best to wait round 2014 and see what amd releases on fm2 plus and am3 plus

which isnt long as they are expected to ship out kaveri 2014 jan

streamroller am3 plus ? we dont know if its ever coming dont wanna suggest this socket till we know more incase its a dead end for upgrading later.