Poll: Tomshardware approval of my RIG!

Do you approve this BUILD?

• Total voters

blockhd

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey, guys!

I'm getting a new RIG to replace my obsolete i7 920 and especially gtx 275 build.

Here is what i came up with! Do i have your approval, community?

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Thermal Compound: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card
Case: Xigmatek Elysium Black ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 850W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Other: EKWB Supreme HF CPU

I will consider any critics and suggestions!

Cheers,

Blockhd

Spend less on the mobo, get something that will actually fill out your full ATX case, and get a beefier graphics card. You could also downgrade the PSU if you dont intend to Crossfire/SLI later on.
Good luck finding an 830 series SSD :D
No HDD?
I hope you have the rest of the water loop to go with the CPU waterblock. BTW, whatever paste comes with it will work fine.

blockhd

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Hey!

Actually, PSU, SSD, Watercooling loop(yeah, i have everything) and some other gimmicks will persist from my previous rig. I really like small mobos... actually i wanted a Mini ITX one but I heard they don't overclock and dissipate heat so good so I chose smaller of evils and took mAtx, I just wonder if it is a good mobo?

Also, i am getting a beefier Graphics card, namely 780GTX... I'm just not sure if i should take reference one... I would like to have best performance possible, but on the other hand, blowing hot air out of the case is a big plus.

:)

ITX boards can overclock, some of the higher end boards even incorporate "riser boards" which hold all the extra VRM's.
Dissipating heat comes to airflow over the board.

The VI Gene is an awesome board, just saying that you have an ATX case, you should get an ATX board. You could go with your original ITX idea, just change the case to suit. The Bitfenix Prodigy is actually a fairly good ITX case to water-cool in.

As long as case airflow is good, an aftermarket design card would be fine. The only reason to get a reference design card (for the rear heat exhaust) is if case airflow is a problem.

blockhd

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
I already have the case :p I just love the looks of smaller boards plus i dont need all the gimmicks of the bigger brothers.

I will have 2 front intake fans, one rear exhaust, air can enter freely through bottom, and i will have 3 120mm fans on top for W/C radiator. Maybe even 6 if i do push pull.

But all air intakes will be filtered with dist filter, which of course diminishes air-flow quite a bit, but i thinik it shouldnt be a problem, do you? I have all Fans connected to a switch that switches between +5v and +12v so owhen im gaming i can push vents harder and airflow should be sufficient.

What do you think of Radeon 290/290x?

blockhd

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Actually... I can get GENE pretty cheap, 150€, while MSI gaming boards are around there, also GigaByte UD4H, ... All in same price range.