270x vs 760. More of a debate with myself than a question.

Amit Parmar

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013
I will either be getting the 270x or the 760. The 270x is a good option for my budget with it's low price. However with my CPU being the 4570, it is only 20 dollars more and that isn't that convenient in my case.

I am currently looking at the ASUS 270x and the MSI 760 TF but I am not open to suggestion on the aftermarket designs. The Sapphire Dual X looks promising too and is cheaper than the ASUS. Also the Sapphire right now is the only good 270x available in Canada. MSI is available too but too expensive.

The 270x would have AMD exclusive traits with the 760 having nVidia exclusive. I would be going over my budget with the 760 however in the games I will be playing it has a 10 fps boost max. And it only gets 10 when both the cards are already over 70fps.

With this new AMD technology called "Mantle" replacing DirectX, It looks like AMD has the win in this situation.

However the nVidia card has Shadowplay and PhysX. With PhysX being (so I've heard) almost impossible to run on a CPU, it is a lot easier to run on the nVidia card. With Shadowplay I was sort of looking to use it but not really that much.

So it all comes down to a tie basically. Right now I'm waiting for one to go on sale and jump for it.

What is your opinion on this?

I will be playing...

Skyrim
Batman Arkham Asylum
BF4(If I get below 60 on Ultra, I'll play on High)
Trial Evolution Gold Edition
Team Fortress 2
MW3

AMD cards can actually run physx, they just can't run advanced physx. You can download a driver to use physx on an AMD card. If you plan on doing a lot of footage capture then shadowplay might be worth the investment.

Care to provide a link?

hypergon

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Yay previous answer wasn't sent.

You can run Physx of the CPU on low, high is nvidia exclusive. But IMO it looks totally overdone and unrealistic (too much bling!) so I don't use it. :D
Shadowplay is important if you want to start a letsplay career as xx[random name]xxHD and do lots of screen capturing with minimal fps drop. (Radeonpro dev announced a similar feature for the upcoming 2.0 version)
No doubt the 760 is the stronger card, but as its over your budget you may have to consider if its worth the additional gaming power (gtx suck for compute) better save some cash and get the 270x

Amit Parmar

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

Shadowplay apparently doesn't have voice capture so it would only work for non commentary lets plays (which suck anyway) But it looks like a good tool for montages and gameplay footage and other such things like that.

Amit Parmar

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013

I don't know how Physx is used through an AMD card but I saw something on some sort of "hybrid" CPU for Physx.