How am i going to wire up my triple monitor setup?

Zanarisrobo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I'm getting a gtx 780 along with two more monitors soon, i will then have three monitors. But im a bit unsure about what cables are the best to wire them up. The monitors i will be getting is benq gl2450hm. The monitors have hdmi, dvi-d and vga connection. And the 780 has displayport, hdmi, dvi-d and dvi-i. What would be the best way to connect these?

Solution
It's best that you use 3 of the same monitor for easier setup, but from what I've read Nvidia 2D surround should let you mix monitors as long they're all using digital or analog. It cannot be mix with digital and analog
For 3D surround, it must be the same monitor.

Connect 2 monitors with DVI and 3rd using HDMI
For 3D surround all connectors must be the same
So if 2 monitors are already using DVI, then you will need to get a display port to DVI adapter to connect the 3rd monitor also with DVI.
Nvidia doesn't need active like AMD Eyefinity, but still get a active display port to DVI adapter, just to be safe, in case passive adapters don't work.

fannatick

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
If you want to run three monitors you will need one ACTIVE adapter. So I would recommend you use (2) DVI's and (1) ACTIVE Display port to DVI. As long as you have (1) ACTIVE adapter you'll be fine.

Your graphics card manual will specify exactly what combination of outputs you can use.

Likely both DVI's and the HDMI.

Read your monitor manual to see if there's any difference between HDMI and DVI inputs for RESPONSE TIME. You may wish to use the HDMI output of the graphics card but DVI input on the monitor (HDMI to DVI cable; or adapter).

That is for AMD NOT Nvidia. With Nvidia you do not need a Active DisplayPort adapter infact you do not even need to use DisplayPort at all with Nvidia if you do not want to. You could use both DVI and the HDMI port for triple monitor support with Nvidia.

lp231

Splendid
It's best that you use 3 of the same monitor for easier setup, but from what I've read Nvidia 2D surround should let you mix monitors as long they're all using digital or analog. It cannot be mix with digital and analog
For 3D surround, it must be the same monitor.

Connect 2 monitors with DVI and 3rd using HDMI
For 3D surround all connectors must be the same
So if 2 monitors are already using DVI, then you will need to get a display port to DVI adapter to connect the 3rd monitor also with DVI.
Nvidia doesn't need active like AMD Eyefinity, but still get a active display port to DVI adapter, just to be safe, in case passive adapters don't work.

Solution

Zanarisrobo

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

So will hdmi - hdmi, dvi-d - dvi-d amd dvi-i - dvi-i with a dvi-i - dvi-d adapter work out nicely?