Monitor with Nvidia G-Sync Tech Ready for Pre-Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

westify

Distinguished
May 13, 2004
As stated a few months ago Asus has paid for the rights to G-Sync exclusivity until "Q3 2014". Once that deal expires i would expect prices to drop significantly.

qknight

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2011

I think Tom's quoted the wrong price. On both Overlord and DigitalStorm, they have this monitor for $499 ;/

Zac Lloyd-Jones

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Scan is a UK site so its a GBP price converted into USD. Anyone who has checked prices of tech gear in other countries, especially UK to US or AU to US know that the US pricing is MUCH cheaper, so you can't really go off a converted price.

Axelion

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
My local PC mod store Digital Storm has G-Sync module upgrade for $299 including labor. That's TOO EXPENSIVE!!! $100 should be a reasonable price and NO WAY I would spend $299 for this.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I wait for some reviews because i want to know if there is a notable difference between G-Sync and a 120Hz monitor. For that price i expect to be a notable difference.

mrmez

Splendid
The additional $260 is pretty reasonable for a new product like this. After all, the "two dozen GPU architects and other senior guys" who made this happen don't get paid in monopoly money. Gotta recover your R&D costs, and it's early adopters who pay the way.

Exclusivity deals also add $50-$100/unit.

As for retrofitting, it's always a pain in the arse, so expect to pay through the arse.

And to "only relevant to those who can't maintain above 60FPS"

Totally false for two reasons:
1) Lag by enabling VSYNC
2) Jutter

To get rid of Screen Tearing you must turn on VSYNC. That introduces a LAG that makes games feel more sluggish to control especially FPS games.

G-Sync can also reduce some JUTTER that appears even when the game is running at 60FPS VSYNC ON.

If the monitor waits till it has the data to make a full image, wont that mean it adds to the input lag? As far as i know, the more "hardware" doing stuff in a monitor, the more input delay and more image lag.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
This will take off, only when they are available for dirt-cheap and work for all cards. Otherwise, just for people with more money than sense.

Morbus

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
This is bollocks. It's true that V-sync is terrible and I NEVER enable it ever. Ever. I learned that long ago, and sometimes I enable it by default, and it's terrible and I notice it.

What they failed to compare is G-sync with no-sync, because that's the real difference.

That tearing they show in the video looks to me like the VGA just isn't up to scratch. I really doubt they used the same setup for the two renders.

Status
Not open for further replies.