GTX 760 driver crashes windows 7 pro

sinasBR

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Hey everyone. Once I install the driver of NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 on my PC, the windows fails to initialize and crash before the login page. When I uninstall the driver (in safe mode), the windows is able to start on standard VGA. As far as I know, the video card is working properly (tested in another computer) and all the connectors are plugged. I am pretty sure it is the driver and not the hardware.

This is the computer:
Motherboard MSI Z87 MPOWER
Power supply Corsair RM650
32GB RAM
Intel i7 Quad-core
Windows 7 64-bit Professional
Video card NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760

I have tried different versions of the driver: 314.22 (changing the INF file to recognize the GTX 760), 320. and also the beta version 331. None of them worked.

Any idea how to solve this problem? I will greatly appreciate!!

Thanks

PS: I cannot return the video card to store since I am abroad now...

sinasBR

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
No, I was not using anything previously. It is a brand new computer and I tried to assembly with this video card...

sinasBR

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion, huilun02. I updated my motherboard's BIOS and everything else (motherboard drivers, etc) to the latest version and when I installed the GTX 760 driver, it gave me the blue screen of death... : (
It is so frustrating. Any other idea? Is there a way to check if it is really the driver or the hardware?

sinasBR

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Here is the error message (it is in portuguese but I guess you can figure it out)

Assinatura do problema:
Nome do Evento de Problema: BlueScreen
Versão do sistema operacional: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Identificação da Localidade: 1046

Informações adicionais sobre o problema:
BCCode: 116
BCP1: FFFFFA801E3462F0
BCP2: FFFFF8800F239E64
BCP3: 0000000000000000
BCP4: 0000000000000002
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Arquivos que ajudam a descrever o problema:
C:\Windows\Minidump\121713-16723-01.dmp
C:\Users\Helder\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-148902-0.sysdata.xml

Bodros

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Hey Sinas, i think i know what the problem is:

So since the new GTX760 driver was released my PC kept crashing regularly (using windows7 64bit home edition), up until the point n which i couldn't even boot up my PC anymore (except in safe mode)

At first i assumed it was an OS problem, so i started to try and find out what was going on. In the end i ended up reinstalling it. Everything went fine until i installed the GPU drivers and updates, then the crashes started appearing again. So i booted in safe mode again and uninstalled the GPU drivers - everything was working well again.

I started to look around the web for 760 users with similar problems and holy shit pretty much every single one of them had the same problem. After consulting with them i have done the following things and everything went well afterwards:

>Boot in safe mode
>Uninstall all the GPU drivers you have, even the GeForce Experience app. Make no exceptions, uninstall all of them.
>Google: GeForce V.327.23 and click on the second search result (NVIDIA DRIVERS 327.23WHQL)
>Download and install ONLY the GPU driver and nothing else
>Reboot in normal mode

Everything should work just fine. Stick with v327.23 until Nvidia will fix their shit.

TL;DR - uninstall all GPU drivers, install v327.23. All should be ok

Hope this helps,
Daniel

JohnWhite420

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
Are you sure that it is really a driver related isssue? I smell it could be a shell-extension that is not working properly. You'll have to generate list of all shell-extensions that are part of your system, disable all Non-Microsoft shell-extensions. Basically there are two ways, viz. perform the process automatically with this software; or manually look at all shell-extensions and modify the list.

If that does not fix your problem, finally you can go through Device Manager and check-up drivers which are marked with a yellow color exclamation mark. Such drivers are not working properly and you'll have to uninstall them as follows:

1. Click Start.
2. Type "Device Manager" in the Search Box.
3. Press ENTER.
4. Expand the top category from left.
5. Click View | Show hidden devices.
6. Do you see any drivers with a yellow-color exclamation mark? If yes, right click such driver and select "Uninstall" option.
7. When you're done uninstalling it, restart the system.

wattymcfly

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014

I am having the same issues and yes I had AMD first while I waited for my graphics card. Is there a way to fix it?