Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GPS to PC tracking

Tags:
Last response: in Cars
December 17, 2013 6:18:27 AM

Hi folks,

I have a family member making a 18 hr drive home for Christmas tomorrow. I'm curious if there's a FlightTracker style app or gadget that would allow us to track his progress on our PC/TV screen, based on his GPS, much like you see on some longer-haul flights? He doesn't have a smartphone or any other tablet/etc device, so it would need to track via his GPS. It's a basic Garmin dash mounted model. So, any way to do this?

More about : gps tracking

Best solution

December 17, 2013 6:26:33 AM

9-Ball said:
Hi folks,

I have a family member making a 18 hr drive home for Christmas tomorrow. I'm curious if there's a FlightTracker style app or gadget that would allow us to track his progress on our PC/TV screen, based on his GPS, much like you see on some longer-haul flights? He doesn't have a smartphone or any other tablet/etc device, so it would need to track via his GPS. It's a basic Garmin dash mounted model. So, any way to do this?

No. A regular GPS is receive only. It doesn't transmit anything.
December 17, 2013 7:40:16 AM

Good to know - many thanks.
m
l
December 17, 2013 5:07:47 PM

You can get transmitters to track, heck if they have a cell phone you can track by that. It's not complicated at all until you want to dig in deeper like having control, tracking fuel use, load on engines, etc. You can get basic trackers for around $20-40 that can even be set up to use with your phone.
m
l
!