Dec 17, 2013
Build:
Case: Corsair Obsidian 650d, Price $189
Power supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready, Price $59.99
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H, Price $133
Cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K, Price $220
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory, Price $89.99
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB, Price $149.99
Storage (HDD/SSD): Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Price $129, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Price $67
Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X iHAS124 drive, Price $15.99

there is my build and are there any parts i could swap out for cheaper parts that will be just as effective, im also considering water cooling, will i need it, i plan to use my pc for gaming recording and video editing. please help as im not great with computers.

Solution
That should do what you want and need with no issues. As for absolute best performance for the price? I'm afraid I can't say for sure, but I can say that, from what I've heard and read, that what you have listed should give you lots of bang for your buck. The 3570K is renowned for its performance and overclocking ability. I've read nothing but praise for the GTX 650 Ti Boost. MSI, Rosewill, Seagate and Team have high-quality products for reasonable prices, and you can't go wrong with a basic Lite-On optical drive.

Squeeky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
You shouldn't need water cooling unless you plan on overclocking. The stock heater should be fine for base clock speeds and voltages. Depending on what you plan on doing with this computer, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with a cheaper i3 (the 3220 runs $125 on newegg and is the same socket as the i5 you listed) or a different motherboard. Of course, the choice of motherboard depends on the features you want/need on it, expansion options, etc.

A cheaper case could definitely be had, but I understand the appeal of the always-popular 650D. May I suggest the Fractal Design Arc Midi R2? A mouthful, I know, but it's a simple, clean case with lots of internal space at around $80 last I checked. There are also many other lower-priced alternatives, but it all really depends on your preference for style or functionality. The case IS what you see every day, after all. Unless you have a window to show off the sweet internals.

You can swap out the memory for a different (but still reliable) brand, but you'd save about a maximum of $10-$20 if you went that route.

Again, depending on what you're doing with this computer (gaming and video editing VS web surfing and email), and what features you want or need, many alternatives are available. Some alternatives like going for a cheaper CPU like an i3 won't deliver the same performance, but parts like the motherboard can be swapped for minimal performance loss.

Nitrocity18

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
I'd like like it for gaming and video editing mainly, id like to keep the i5 as i want really good performance thanks for the alternative case appreciate it. I chose that motherboard as it had a dual memory slot, and could have 2 HDD slots and the option for a for a SSD or SSHD further down the track when i have the budget for an upgrade. What would you suggest for a cheaper option for memory? do you believe my build is suitable for what i want to use it for?

Squeeky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
For gaming and video editing, yeah. To save a few bucks on the memory, go with this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820313080
It's 8GB divided into 2 4GB dimms, still 1600 MHz.

As for the motherboard, this should save you a few bucks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653
Since it's a Z77 board, you should still be able to overclock. It has 4 memory slots, so if you wanted to add dimms you could. PCI-E x16 3.0 and 2.0, as well as some PCI-E x1 slots (useful for sound cards or similar additions). Additionally, it has some older PCI slots, which make the board legacy-proof, meaning older components can be used. Also, it has 2 SATA 6 Gb/s ports and 4 SATA 3 Gb/s ports, so storage expansion won't be a problem.

If you don't care for overclocking, you could go even cheaper. It may be a micro-ATX mobo (a smaller form factor, but cheaper), but this board should suit your needs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131860
It has one PCI-E x16 3.0 slot, one PCI-E x16 2.0 slot (like the other board I suggested), and has two PCI-E x1 slots, but no legacy PCI slots, unfortunately. There are 4 SATA 3 Gb/s ports, so again, you can add storage. SSDs might not get the FULL speed boost that can be had from SATA 6 Gb/s, but they'll still be considerably faster than a regular HDD.

Nitrocity18

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Ok so this is my new build then does this look like it will work?
and is the best performance for the price?
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 , Price $100
Power supply: Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W ATX12V v2.01 SLI Ready, Price $59.99
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 , Price $99.99
Cpu: Intel Core i5-3570K, Price $220
Memory: Team Xtreem Dark Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 , Price $69.99
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 650 Ti Boost 2GB, Price $149.99
Storage (HDD/SSD): Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Price $129, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Price $67
Optical Drive: Lite-On 24X iHAS124 drive, Price $15.99

Squeeky

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
That should do what you want and need with no issues. As for absolute best performance for the price? I'm afraid I can't say for sure, but I can say that, from what I've heard and read, that what you have listed should give you lots of bang for your buck. The 3570K is renowned for its performance and overclocking ability. I've read nothing but praise for the GTX 650 Ti Boost. MSI, Rosewill, Seagate and Team have high-quality products for reasonable prices, and you can't go wrong with a basic Lite-On optical drive.

Solution