First PC Build Using a Prodigy M

Jaylim012

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Hello everyone, I'm looking to build my first ever computer, so please forgive me if I use a wrong term or say something incorrect. I did do a lot of research though and I believe I have most of my info down.

I was going to do an micro atx build with

Asus Maximus Vi gene
Intel i7 4770k (Corsair H60 Cooler)
Rosewill 850W semi-modular PSU
Fans/RAM/Storage TBD

And a GTX 770 or 780 GPU (but looking for sli in the future)

So my question is mainly with the Prodigy M case. I love the way it looks and I haven't found another case that I like, so the case is basically non changeable for me.

With the M redesign, the PSU is moved to the front and mobo on the left side, but the dimm slots from what I can see is covered by the PSU. Would I have to go low profile RAM to make use of the slots, or can I use any size? Also looking down the road if I were to do SLI (either 770 or 780) would the blower style fan be better than the dual style? I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the GPUs would have fan exhaust directed up and since they are located at the top of the case, air from the GPUs should not play a factor in warming the air within the case. I was also going to have a large intake fan (230mm or so) on the bottom, with a shield to block the warm air output from the PSU. And since I will have the water cooled CPU, heat from the CPU will go directly out the rear and won't warm the intake air from the bottom? (So cool air should be hitting the GPUs directly. Is this airflow sufficient for the system? (Like I said, I have limited previous experience so I'm going off of mostly what I've read on other threads)

Another option I was thinking about is drilling holes on the right panel and having another input fan (either a large >200 mm or dual 120mm), but my only concern would be if the fan cables are long enough and when opening the case, would it be hard with that wiring setup.

Lastly, has anyone successfully fitted a DVD drive with an SLI setup? Perhaps a slimline or slot loading?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to your feedback!

Solution
found it... you may want to read this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1914846/bitfenix-prodigy-airflow.html

if you would like to discuss this further or in greater detail i can elaborate and discuss or provide a few potential solutions.

what worries me is putting an i7-4770k and two gtx780 in such a small case with blocked airflow. while definitely possible, it would be highly suggested to either do some case modding for extra fans or go watercooling (which might involve modding)

to answer some of your questions...

from the photos i've seen it doesnt look like the ram is covered by the psu hence standard height could be used.

due to the tight spacing of sli cards and the limited airflow of the case the multifan gpus...
i agree.... the prodigy M is quite a looker and appears to be well made

however, the case is a complete failure in terms of cooling design

airflow is typically front to back, bottom to top however this is not possible in the M. front airflow is blocked by the psu. bottom airflow is mixed with hot discharge from the psu. top airflow is blocked by the gpu

there is another prodigy m case build here on the forums i was posting in with all sorts of airflow info and info on what watercooling options are available. i dont have time to link it right now... but i suggest you go look for it lots of good info.

found it... you may want to read this thread
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1914846/bitfenix-prodigy-airflow.html

if you would like to discuss this further or in greater detail i can elaborate and discuss or provide a few potential solutions.

what worries me is putting an i7-4770k and two gtx780 in such a small case with blocked airflow. while definitely possible, it would be highly suggested to either do some case modding for extra fans or go watercooling (which might involve modding)

to answer some of your questions...

from the photos i've seen it doesnt look like the ram is covered by the psu hence standard height could be used.

due to the tight spacing of sli cards and the limited airflow of the case the multifan gpus are probably best. the blower style (often called reference style coolers) are often loud and run hotter.

the gpu intakes would be sucking air from the top of the case down into the card and out the rear of the case. hot air rises. this means that you would need to run a top-down airflow (which is reverse of thermodynamics) so the whole system works harder. perhaps this is why they put the psu out the bottom

if this is the case... it would require the bottom fans to pull air downwards against natural thermodynamic airflow. while completely possible to do this... you may want some beefier fans to accomplish this.

a side intake isnt a bad idea. this would be a more ideal place to mount intake radiators for cooling the cpu (or to mount radiators to cool the gpus if you go w/c with them too). having a w/c loop cooler in the position most prodigy m cases show is inefficient since you are using hot case air to cool. intake from outside air perform much better.

it doesnt look like a dvd drive will work for sli in this case. there appears to only be room for a small front bay device with sli. your best bet would be to use either an external drive or to mod a drive into the case. perhaps a slot load drive with a slot cut into the case.

----

anyways... a few options.... a discussion on why the airflow goes against standards.... and some ideas.

as far as build components are concerned we can discuss them as well if you give a budget.

mostly i just wanted to make you aware of the design limitations of the case.

there are other nice cases on the market. perhaps it is worth looking to see if you like any suggested alternatives?

Solution

Jaylim012

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for the reply, link and for explaining everything. The fact that the GPU fans would be pulling in air from the top changes a lot! Since this is my first build, and I haven't done much modding, much less making a custom WC loop, I think this won't be a viable option. I wasn't a fan of any of the other MATX cases, and I've looked around (A LOT). I must admit I'm a bit of an apple fanboy at heart so the prodigy reminded me of the old Mac Pro. I think I may just end up building an ATX machine. I'll have better airflow and more connectivity options with the board. I was thinking the Corsair 540 Air looks very nice, and total costs would only be marginally higher. SLI and an all-in-one CPU watercooler wouldn't be a problem with that case right?

Thanks again

the corsair 540 is a bit wide.... but the cooling potential isnt bad at all.

i like what they did with the psu however you need to make sure you buy a top fan style psu.

sli would be better in a case like that since its chock full of fan slots and i dont see oc being a problem.

you shoul get a fully modular psu though.

----------

dont get me wrong... i'm not saying you *cant* go with a prodigy m.. just saying that doing so comes with certain concessions that you need to take into account.

i agree with you.. the prodigy m looks like a very nice style case... if only the layout werent so wonky.

----

are you up for discussing components as well?

if so what budget? is it for tower only? do you need a monitor? what games at what res at what settings?