VGA looks better than HDMI?

JonahJay

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Okay so I had a Radeon HD 6670 connected to my insignia HDTV that I was using as I monitor (24 inches) connected via VGA (6670 didn't have hdmi port) but I recently purchased a new 7850 due to getting a 1080p tv/monitor. It has an HDMI port, so I connected it via HDMI, and it looks awful compared to the VGA connection. It is grainy as well as undersized (not at the edge of the TV edges) Help please?!?

Solution

It sounds as if the scaling could be incorrectly set, but more likely you need to change the input method of the HDTV. It can be labeled a lot of different things. For mine, it is scanning type. I have to set it to "just scan".

If your HDTV doesn't have those options, it is possible it just doesn't support the ability to properly support a PC through HDMI.

Nada190

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2013
It's a TV monitor so be sure to select PC input for that HDMI input. Otherwise it will look horrible, this happened on my Samung TV monitor and all I had to do was to change the name of the input source.

Think the problem is with HDMI, it's using the TV's graphics or something, maybe someone else can clear that up.

JonahJay

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
I tried looking for something like that, but all I found was change the label name, which does nothing. There is a computer settings selection in the menu but it's greyed out

It sounds as if the scaling could be incorrectly set, but more likely you need to change the input method of the HDTV. It can be labeled a lot of different things. For mine, it is scanning type. I have to set it to "just scan".

If your HDTV doesn't have those options, it is possible it just doesn't support the ability to properly support a PC through HDMI.

Solution

claudep

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
I had a similar problem with my Samsung HDTV.

I had 2 problems :
1) Overscan : I was missing a border around the screen so I could not see the start menu or the taskbar.
Solution : Change the Picture Size on the TV to be "Screen Fit". That must be their equivalent to 1 to 1 mapping.

2) Even then, the text looked horrible.
Solution : Change the Sharpness Setting on the TV to be set to 0.

I also tried to change all other picture settings on the TV in such a way that the TV would not do any post-processing on the image : this is all done by your computer so you do not need the TV to do it too.

The end results : over HDMI, I get much better color for a comparable text quality. The text is still slightly sharper but In the end, I think it is actually better.

Hope this helps.

trikkx

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
I usually just find a thingy inside the menu of the tv to adjust phase and alignment automatically. I don't know what phase is but it makes things look correct even when I'm using a vga split on two subtly different tv's.