Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Asus Radeon R9-290X DirectCU II Detailed, Priced

Last response: in News comments
a c 311 U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 8:22:12 PM

It is a very nice looking card, cant wait to see benchmarks on this!
Score
December 18, 2013 8:26:36 PM

Nvidia.... be afraid!!!!
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 8:44:29 PM

There is already a review of this card on PCper^^ Not that big performance difference, but at least it maintains its clock speed at 1050. Overclockability seems to be the same as reference too (1150 ish), but again, it can maintain these clock speeds.
Score
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 8:52:05 PM

looks epic :D 
Score
December 18, 2013 9:29:37 PM

Be afraid of what? lol already proven its overhyped, overheated and lost its #1 selling point all the AMD pushers claimed... Price, its price discount that was a big kick in NVIDIA face is now flipped, so why should I buy this inferior card now (Any 290X for that matter)? TruAudio - pft please its just another DSP eliminates the need for a Discrete Sound Card sure, but your only gonna see the benefit when using the HDMI audio out of the Video card, otherwise its nothing more than a glorified DSP tweaking the sound coming out of your onboard audio wake up people... Mantle? Sure nice concept and needed to allow AMD to compete for real numbers not bogus marketing benchmarks that weren't real world retail numbers so yea sure it will boost game performance for AMD cards by what 10-15%? Well they most likely running at a 20-25% disadvantage so it just closed the gap a lil still weak in my opinoin.
Score
December 18, 2013 10:18:46 PM

I like the looks of this. Will match my Maximus VI nicely.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 10:19:12 PM

Nice card. Finally delivers the performance that stock cards should have. Doesn't look like it performs as well as the 780ti, but it doesn't cost near as much either, so that's a nice trade off. If you are building the ultimate rig, you go with the 780ti, but if you want to save a bit of money and not sacrifice too much in performance, this card is right there for ya.
Score
December 18, 2013 10:30:09 PM

"UK price of £499.99" Just curious, what will this translate to here in 'Merica? In a direct conversion of currency, all I can say is OUCH.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 10:37:37 PM

Xymos said:
Nvidia.... be afraid!!!!

Score
December 18, 2013 11:05:59 PM

looks cool and nice.. ;) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 11:06:11 PM

Swordkd said:
Nice card. Finally delivers the performance that stock cards should have. Doesn't look like it performs as well as the 780ti, but it doesn't cost near as much either, so that's a nice trade off. If you are building the ultimate rig, you go with the 780ti, but if you want to save a bit of money and not sacrifice too much in performance, this card is right there for ya.

Performance difference is pretty much a wash. You'll play on the same settings (minus PhysX) on the same resolution. Might as well save money unless you really want NVidia features.
Score
December 18, 2013 11:10:40 PM

@ ​irishtr, Maybe you should read some reviews before you let your fanboi shine green. Faster than the 780 ti? No.... but it matches wits with it in nearly every game, some it actually does win. The heat issue was from the reference cooler... (if you could) throw an amd reference cooler on a 780 ti and what do you have ? You are right!! ; A flaming hunk of shit. So try using your head and your lack of computer knowledge to assess the information given to come up with an opinion next time, opposed to just spewing hate. On that note, I think I'll be passing on the directcu, I really want to wait for a 2x8 power card to come out, with a little better map.

EDIT: Bad name Clipboard got ahead of my passion for fanbois :3
The're just too cute.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 18, 2013 11:15:41 PM

eldragon0 said:
@ ​Doherty , Maybe you should read some reviews before you let your fanboi shine green. Faster than the 780 ti? No.... but it matches wits with it in nearly every game, some it actually does win. The heat issue was from the reference cooler... (if you could) throw an amd reference cooler on a 780 ti and what do you have ? You are right!! ; A flaming hunk of shit. So try using your head and your lack of computer knowledge to assess the information given to come up with an opinion next time, opposed to just spewing hate. On that note, I think I'll be passing on the directcu, I really want to wait for a 2x8 power card to come out, with a little better map.

Who?
Score
December 18, 2013 11:23:47 PM

Mousemonkey said:
eldragon0 said:
@ ​irishtr , Maybe you should read some reviews before you let your fanboi shine green. Faster than the 780 ti? No.... but it matches wits with it in nearly every game, some it actually does win. The heat issue was from the reference cooler... (if you could) throw an amd reference cooler on a 780 ti and what do you have ? You are right!! ; A flaming hunk of shit. So try using your head and your lack of computer knowledge to assess the information given to come up with an opinion next time, opposed to just spewing hate. On that note, I think I'll be passing on the directcu, I really want to wait for a 2x8 power card to come out, with a little better map.

Who?

Fixed :p 
That's what I get for looking at Tom's while at work.
Score
December 18, 2013 11:55:25 PM

... gonna gift it to my self on my birthday...
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 12:13:28 AM

thechief73 said:
"UK price of £499.99" Just curious, what will this translate to here in 'Merica? In a direct conversion of currency, all I can say is OUCH.

Aren't price in Europe usually higher than in US?

Anyways, Are tom's going to do they own bench mark?
Score
December 19, 2013 1:20:41 AM

Come on Toms, where's your article on this card? Already reviewed on 4 other sites...
Score
December 19, 2013 2:01:33 AM

JJ1217 said:
There is already a review of this card on PCper^^ Not that big performance difference, but at least it maintains its clock speed at 1050. Overclockability seems to be the same as reference too (1150 ish), but again, it can maintain these clock speeds.

That's the big thing. Now that it's no longer throttled to hell and roraing like a jet engine, it's a pretty awesome card!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 3:25:32 AM

There needs to be Poseidon version of this.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 4:31:29 AM

So what? Red stickers are for gaming and gold stickers are for Bitcoin mining?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 5:26:06 AM

Spend a few extra dollars and get the 780ti or save some and get a 290. The 290x really is almost a pointless card.
Score
December 19, 2013 5:50:04 AM

If the price converts directly then it's notably more expensive than the 780Ti I just bought. It will probably scale down a bit, but still.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 5:57:09 AM

Im waiting to see what happens with them.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 6:16:23 AM

Looks like a nice card! *scrolls down*.... WTF is that? Stickers? What is this? Some 4 year old girl's MLP sticker book? Thanks but no thanks.
Seriously, If I am going to pay $500 for a GPU then you could at the very least apply the stickers before shipping the product; Or even better, hire a designer who can make a product that looks good and complete without stickers!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 6:22:09 AM

Looks very nice even without stickers. I like the black look.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 6:27:02 AM

The card itself looks nice.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 6:27:05 AM

The card itself looks nice.
Score
December 19, 2013 6:30:15 AM

Okay phew. I was going to bash this card if it didn't include the performance increasing stickers.
Score
December 19, 2013 7:05:43 AM

Until they are gobbled up by miners and the price goes up and availability goes down.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 8:07:34 AM

Are ppl on here seriously confused about the stickers? Performance enhancing(funny) to cypto mining, lol again...

They're simply to match your Asus mother board, if you please:) 
The new Z87 boards have gold accents and the Z77's RoG were red.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 8:12:44 AM

double posted,
Score
December 19, 2013 9:34:00 AM

$817.68?!?!?!?!

Get outta here!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 9:47:06 AM

Lol the 780ti ghz edition would be a much smarter buy at that price range.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 10:00:03 AM

CaedenV said:
Looks like a nice card! *scrolls down*.... WTF is that? Stickers? What is this? Some 4 year old girl's MLP sticker book? Thanks but no thanks.
Seriously, If I am going to pay $500 for a GPU then you could at the very least apply the stickers before shipping the product; Or even better, hire a designer who can make a product that looks good and complete without stickers!

There was a article here on Toms that mentioned Asus is doing this so users can match their setups and the very first card to get it was the GTX 780Ti. Now the 290x is also getting the same treatment. IMO those sticker are pointless because 99% of system built the card's cooler will be facing downwards so we won't see it anyway. I kind of like in this all black color scheme.
Also the price is in British Pounds not U.S. dollars.
Score
December 19, 2013 1:30:07 PM

"Finally, the Radeon R9 290X is up to $600 and just as hard to track down."
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

Considering they've upped the price of this (and the 280,290 as well) by $100.00 across the board these aren't the "incredible deal" praised by many. The comparable Nvidia product didn't behave like a 1200watt blow dryer/space heater at launch. I'll take efficiency and stability over a product that is pushed aggressively to compete.
Score
December 19, 2013 1:31:42 PM

Considering they've upped the price of this (and the 280,290 as well) by $100.00 across the board these aren't the "incredible deal" praised by many. The comparable Nvidia product didn't behave like a 1200watt blow dryer/space heater at launch. I'll take efficiency and stability over a product that is pushed aggressively to compete.
Score
December 19, 2013 1:46:28 PM

Finally, Radeon R9 290X with twin fan cooling now I will buy one, cant wait. My build is ready I've just been waiting. Hope to have one by mid January, the MSI twin frost R9 209X will be here 1st of January so hop this one will be released around the same time. I've been a long time supporter of AMD and Radeon.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:03:13 PM

mfox666 said:
Come on Toms, where's your article on this card? Already reviewed on 4 other sites...

Na, there is no reason from Tom's to review it. They've already done more then their share; chasing down the problems with the OEM cooler. Plus the end result is already known from the fix article(Accelero Xtreme III). Besides with a less than a week before Christmas no one should be stuck a hardware lab; those in-depth benchmark articles must take dozens of man hours. Doing it for 52 weeks would drive a person insane.

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:20:21 PM

irishtr said:
Be afraid of what? lol already proven its overhyped, overheated and lost its #1 selling point all the AMD pushers claimed... Price, its price discount that was a big kick in NVIDIA face is now flipped, so why should I buy this inferior card now (Any 290X for that matter)? TruAudio - pft please its just another DSP eliminates the need for a Discrete Sound Card sure, but your only gonna see the benefit when using the HDMI audio out of the Video card, otherwise its nothing more than a glorified DSP tweaking the sound coming out of your onboard audio wake up people... Mantle? Sure nice concept and needed to allow AMD to compete for real numbers not bogus marketing benchmarks that weren't real world retail numbers so yea sure it will boost game performance for AMD cards by what 10-15%? Well they most likely running at a 20-25% disadvantage so it just closed the gap a lil still weak in my opinoin.

Hey Mouse aren't you going comment on this post?
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:23:28 PM

redeemer said:
irishtr said:

Hey Mouse aren't you going comment on this post?

What would you like me to say?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:24:22 PM

irishtr said:

That makes no sense at all, the GTX 780TI has potential to eat over 570watts with skynet BIOS PT and vcore tweaks. At stock sure the 780ti is less that 6% faster @ 1440p and less at 4k over the 290x, but runs out of buffer in 4k in a few games.

Thus I would take a card that is cheaper and actually gives me more vram for less money!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:28:37 PM

irishtr said:

Maybe its just me but over the years it seems you have something to say when a members rip into Nvidia but nada when its AMD..?
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:32:46 PM

Noone gives enough of a 'crap'right now about 4k gaming for that to even be part of this argument.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:33:28 PM

redeemer said:
irishtr said:

That makes no sense at all, the GTX 780TI has potential to eat over 570watts with skynet BIOS PT and vcore tweaks. At stock sure the 780ti is less that 6% faster @ 1440p and less at 4k over the 290x, but runs out of buffer in 4k in a few games.

Thus I would take a card that is cheaper and actually gives me more vram for less money!

That's a bit misleading isn't it? The standard spec has the 780Ti equipped with one 8 pin and one 6 pin which would only allow it to draw 300w, the AIB's who who use their own designs however are the ones that can suck a lot of power but then the same could be done with all and any AMD cards so why are suggesting that all 780Ti's can suck 570w when they don't have the power connectors for it?
Score
December 19, 2013 2:40:19 PM

kiniku said:

bitcoin farmers were buying up everything amd because they are faster at mining.
now with bitcoins fall of 50% their value, they may let the hell up on buying amd cards a bit and let the gamers get their chance at them.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
December 19, 2013 2:48:14 PM

alidan said:
kiniku said:

bitcoin farmers were buying up everything amd because they are faster at mining.
now with bitcoins fall of 50% their value, they may let the hell up on buying amd cards a bit and let the gamers get their chance at them.

I wonder if some of those cards are going to start turning up on fleabay over the next few weeks.
Score
December 19, 2013 5:37:50 PM

hannibal said:
Guru: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_r9_290x_directcuii_oc_review,1.html
Canuk: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/64694-asus-r9-290x-directcu-ii-oc-review-10.html

780ti is faster but a lot more expensive... At least in here europe.
OC versions are guite near in using energy. There is 6 wat difference between 780tiOC and 290xOC.

What the heck does a 780ti run in UK? This is $816 in USD. That is well over a superclocked $730 780ti card in USA.
Score
!