Budget PC configuration for programming (running around 3 vm's at a time)

sam_programmer

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Hi Guys,

I was trying to search the budget PC configuration that will suit my needs. I can find thousand and thousand of Post for budget gaming pc. However, I am not able to find the configuration that I am looking for my particular need.

Here is my requirement. I am a hardcore programmer and want to run multiple VM's on my PC (some where around 3 VM's at a time). I am looking for a cheap PC configuration just to support this and the budget is around 400 USD. I am not looking for awesome graphics card or anything related to gaming stuff. When i run 3 VM's it eats up around 12 gb of ram.

Please advise.

Thanks...

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Do you have any parts you can reuse? It is tough to get 16GB and a multi-core CPU for $400. AMD generally offers better value at this point, but then you would also need a GPU for display. If a dual-core would be enough, this build might work, otherwise I would save up some more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor ($72.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85-HD3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($133.60 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec EarthWatts Green 380W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($44.98 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $432.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 08:13 EST-0500)

sam_programmer

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for your reply. Appreciate it! I need to build this pc from scratch. I do not have any part to reuse. I was wondering if a AMD build will save some money and will give much better performance.

You have any AMD configuration in your mind which will save few bucks ?

Transmaniacon

Distinguished
Unless you went with an AMD APU CPU, you would also need some kind of GPU for display, so the cost ends up being the same. There really isn't much place I can trim, I wouldn't go any lower than that PSU, it's one part of your computer you can't afford to skimp on.

sam_programmer

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Thanks for your reply again. I am bit worried about Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor because it has only 2 core. I am running my VM's on I7 notebook and it sucks. When i start my 2 VM's its eats up lots of CPU and both the VM run really slow (its kinda not in workable state).

I hope you can put some light on this issue. Thanks in advance.