Why Intel Celeron E3400 @ 2.60Ghz is a bad processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Well...

1) its several years old and only supported on out of date boards

2) Its only 2 cores with no hyperthreading

3) It has nearly no cache meaning it takes it longer to find things

4) It is at 2.6 ghz (sounds kind of okay) but it does a LOT less work per Ghz than a modern processor.

Intel Celeron E3400 @ 2.60GHz
1,463 Scores 1463 on benchmarks

Intel Pentium G3420 @ 3.20GHz
3,377 Modern Pentium scores more than twice high, and is still dirt cheap.

$159.99
Intel Core i3-4330 @ 3.50GHz
5,115 Modern I3 (still fairly cheap) scores more than 3x higher.

jornhy

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013

Wow, thank's a lot, I understand the first 3 points, but how/why it does less work per GHz? in what lies its low performance ? which are the components that make it work like that?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It is for lack of a better word less smart of a processor, with literally hundreds of millions less circuits inside, all of this makes it do less work per MHZ, heck you look for a little older processor you can see they were up over 3ghz a long time ago, but new processors could be downclocked to about 1.0 ghz and still beat them performance wise. They've just generally figured out how to make them tick better, If I fully knew all the answers to the "how" then Amd would want to hire me to catch up to intel :p

That was an underhand and sneaky comment! But true... :D

Is that the CPU you currently have, or is the CPU in a PC you are looking to buy?

At any rate, the Celeron E3400 is based on Intel's older CPU design for the Core 2 Duo series from 2008 even though it was released in early 2010. For basic things it's not bad, not great, but not bad. If you plan on using it to play games with then it can be an issues especially if you are looking to play demanding games since it's low performance can drag down the graphic card's performance.

Alejandro_24

Commendable
Jan 27, 2017

i found the Intel Celeron E3400 2.60ghz for 100 argentinian pesos, its like 6 USA dollars, still a good offer or what do you recomend?

Status
Not open for further replies.