Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

First build...need help on PSU, cooling, and case!

Tags:
  • Gaming
  • Power Supplies
  • Cooling
  • Systems
  • Components
  • Cases
  • New Build
Last response: in Systems
December 19, 2013 3:50:57 PM

Hi folks, this is my first time building my own PC. All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

I'm looking to put something together that works well enough right off the bat but which I can also tinker with in the long-term as more budget becomes available. Specifically, I'd like to be able to run games such as World of Tanks at moderate or better settings with the CPU at stock speed. Eventually, I'd like to add a cooler and get a bit of experience with overclocking as well as to add an additional GPU and SLI them.

General questions:
1. Any compatibiltiy issues?
2. Any budget-saving tips?

Specific questions:
3. Do I need to a cooling system or anything beyond stock fans if I don't OC right now?
4. Is the PSU sufficient to ultimately handle OC'ing and SLI'ing?
5. Is it worthwhile to buy a more powerful PSU now or buy a less powerful PSU until additional power is necessary?
6. What type of performance am I likely to get when gaming with this build? What is likely to be the first bottleneck?
7. I wouldn't mind being able to reuse the case for new builds down the road. Would you recommend this case or another one (preferably similarly priced)?

Thoughts on any of the above questions would be helpful. Thanks for the feedback!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($160.00 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $839.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 18:04 EST-0500)

More about : build psu cooling case

December 19, 2013 4:05:26 PM

maybe this?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 1GB Video Card ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($58.86 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: OCZ ZT 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($94.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $765.76
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-19 19:05 EST-0500)
December 20, 2013 8:20:37 AM

That makes sense and it saves a nice chunk of change.

I'm really new to this so if you don't mind me asking, how much, if any, difference will I notice with the HD 7850 instead of the GTX 660? Will there be much of a difference between the two when SLI'd/Crossfired?

Also, is there any difference to OC'ing with the Z75 Pro3 vs. the Z77 Extreme4?

Thanks!
Related resources
December 20, 2013 8:45:54 AM

The 7850 will preform, on average, a little worse than the GTX 660. http://www.anandtech.com/show/6276/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... . Look at other games, but do keep in mind that BF3, for instance, is Nvidia biased. Either way, it still performs a little better. It is up to you to look at these benchmarks and decide whether that performance decrease is worth the decrease in price. For someone on a budget, then sure, it is. There are a lot of good graphics cards at many different prices, and a pattern emerges with a positive correlation between price and performance. It is up to you what you are willing to spend and what you need. Your case is good (same one I have). 750w would be enough, I believe. The first bottleneck you encounter will be from your GPU. Both GPUs that are being recommended a budget level enthusiast GPUs. Your CPU is about as good as it gets for gaming. In terms of fans, if you OC, you will need an aftermarket cooler for your CPU. I would always recommend case fans to help with airflow in either situation. I think the extreme4 is a little bit better over clocker and a better motherboard overall, but it is quite a bit more expensive than the Pro3, and any advantages it has are relatively unimportant. If you are using 1080p, your performance should be fine for most games, probably medium or maybe even high. It will struggle with some games like Crysis 3 or BF4, but it should be good for World of Tanks.
December 20, 2013 12:06:06 PM

I think that about answers all my questions! Thanks so much!