Is this graphics card a good deal?

Kojitsari

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
Hello all, I just built my new computer on December second (without the gpu due to budget constraints at the time and the fact that I was doing little or no gaming with finals coming up right after). In my search for a gpu I came to the conclusion that a gtx 770, gtx 670, or r9 280x was what I would need to minimally satisfy my desires. However when searching on craigslist and Ebay to see if there were perhaps and great deals around I found a gtx 660 for $80 bucks (so the idea to possibly SLI to boost performance to where I wanted it to be came to mind). Now I know the things to look for when getting a gpu used, my question is assuming that its in good condition (hasn't been overclocked to an unsafe limit, isn't artifacting, etc) and I can either get a transferable warranty or the original receipt, Is this a good deal?

If there's anything else you'd like to know please let me know and I'll do my best to give you a prompt answer!

Thank you all!

Solution
Lets say it was fine. This would be quite a deal. However, compared to the 770, 760, and 280x, this card is terrible. Massive performance difference between these cards. If it were me, I might get the 660, and then SLI it with another one, but even then, it wouldn't get close to the 770 or 280x. I would just save up so you can have 1 card, great performance, and if you ever want to SLI the 770, or X-Fire the 280x, then you will be getting amazing performance. It's up to you, but I have given my opinion. And I have the 770 and I can run any game on 1080p ultra without breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps.

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Lets say it was fine. This would be quite a deal. However, compared to the 770, 760, and 280x, this card is terrible. Massive performance difference between these cards. If it were me, I might get the 660, and then SLI it with another one, but even then, it wouldn't get close to the 770 or 280x. I would just save up so you can have 1 card, great performance, and if you ever want to SLI the 770, or X-Fire the 280x, then you will be getting amazing performance. It's up to you, but I have given my opinion. And I have the 770 and I can run any game on 1080p ultra without breaking a sweat.

Hope this helps.

Solution

Kojitsari

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
My thought was to get it with intent to SLI, I'd be able to play most games around mediumish settings with just one. Now the reviews I've read about the 660 SLI performance say that it's on par for gtx 680, and gtx 780 type performance (assuming the games being played support SLI). I'm just not sure if it's one of those deals that's too good to pass up...that's why I asked here lol.

Sevenater

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013

With that kind of performance potential with SLI, get it. It's definitely worth it.