Who should I buy my SSD from?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013
I am looking to get a 64GB SSD exclusively for my OS and programs but not sure what brand to go with. SanDisk are known for doing storage devices at very good prices and they have one for £41.56 but are they the best brand to go with?

Legolas8181

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2013

Looking at the SanDisk 64GB Ultra Plus SSD as I am told it delivers faster speeds than a regular one. I am also looking at possibly buying a 250GB just for games and for that am looking at Samsung 840 EVO

If you go THAT route just forget the Scandisk an get the Samsung. They have about the Same read (520-540) where as the Scandisk has 155 Write and the Samsung has like 510-530. So if you DO get the Samsung as well just ditch it. If you want to keep them Seperate just partition the 250GB

Well to me it would be pointless to use something with such a slow write speed SSD as an OS drive. I mean yea its faster than an a Hard Drive but for games all you really need is Read not Write. The OS drive though you need both Read an Write. Like me my 320GB i use as my game installs has crap for write but reads pretty fast which my games still load.

I mean if you want that setup go for it. Just my 2 cents are get something faster for the OS. If you can save some money and just get the Samsung 840 and not the Evo or Pro if you can you can still fine just the regular 840. the write speeds aren't as fast but they are still faster than that SanDisk

I normally recommend Samsung. Samsung ssd's perform extremely well and have a proven track record. Intel, Corsair, and Plextor are also worth considering. The newest SanDisk ssd's are also proving to be very good.

I maintain the ssd database listed in a sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

In terms of value and practicality the modern 3rd generation 256Gb Sata 3 6Gbs ssd's are the sweet spot. They represent the best value for the money. You can install your operating system, software applications, utilities, and favorite games on a single drive. No need to partition the ssd or to have a separate ssd just for the OS.