Will my water cooler's liquid (Corsair H70) freeze?

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Christman is coming and I am going to spend a week with my family. This means I will be leaving my computer back at apartment and I will be leaving the heater off the entire time I am gone to save on my energy bill. I live in Kansas and the days that I am gone are suppose to be below 10 F with freezing rain and snow.

My question is if the liquid inside my Corsair H70 will freeze while I am gone.

Solution
I do not think it will freeze but the problem is if it does there is a very real chance of destroying the rad. Just like the radiator in a car if it freezes it could very easily punch a hole in the rad. Personally I would set the thermostat to a point that your apartment will not freeze instead of turning it off completely. You could set it say 40 just to keep it above freezing and would not use a whole lot of power. Your bill would not be hurt to bad at all that way and you would not have to worry about the computer or your pipes. I live it Topeka and so far this year we have had some nice weather for Kansas but that is suppose to change.

Jaime3d

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Good question - Corsairs website says that they use a distilled water and Propylene Glycol mixture. Propylene Glycol is used in anti-freeze to reduce the freezing point so I would say that you're probably okay. However, the total overall freezing point will depend on how much Propylene Glycol is in the water which is not specified on their website - so I can't say for sure.

If you live in an apartment, most likely your neighbors will help heat your apartment enough so it won't get THAT cold. If you have neighbors all around you, or at least against 3 walls, and hopefully floor or ceiling then I think you'd be surprised at how much that will help. Overall I wouldn't worry about it too much - you can always leave your computer on. If you don't want to leave your computer on, then when you get back just check to make sure it's not frozen and leaking.

I do not think it will freeze but the problem is if it does there is a very real chance of destroying the rad. Just like the radiator in a car if it freezes it could very easily punch a hole in the rad. Personally I would set the thermostat to a point that your apartment will not freeze instead of turning it off completely. You could set it say 40 just to keep it above freezing and would not use a whole lot of power. Your bill would not be hurt to bad at all that way and you would not have to worry about the computer or your pipes. I live it Topeka and so far this year we have had some nice weather for Kansas but that is suppose to change.

Solution

Jaime3d

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
It won't punch a hole in the rad, one of the pipe fittings will come loose before that happens. However I do agree with bryonhowley that setting your thermostat to 40 is a good solution.

Pepto

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

I'll do that, and I have a neighbor next to me and 2 below me, so that should help.