What's the difference between 2D and 3D Nvidia surround?

Alex2051

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013
What's the difference between 2D Surround and 3D Surround? Let me give you a little bit of background first. I plan on buying an Alienware x51 (I know i can build something better for a cheaper price, but i need the portability) with three Asus 1080p monitors (VN247H-P). The x51 has a GTX 760 graphics card and i want to be able to connect all three monitors and use nvidia surround to do triple monitor gaming. The ports on the GTX 760 are as follows: 1x DVI-D, 1x DVI-I, 1x HDMI, 1x DisplayPort. The monitors each have 2x HDMI, and 1x VGA. I plan on getting adapters and connecting the first monitor from DVI-I to HDMI, the second from DVI-D to HDMI, and the third from Displayport to HDMI. Then by using this link: http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/3dvision-surround/system-requirements
I see that you can't use the 3D surround with HDMI, but with 2D surround you can.

So what's the difference between the 2D and the 3D surround options? Im getting confused because they also have something called 3D vision. I don't want the movie theater 3D thing where the images pop out, i just want nvida surround to make three monitors act like one just like eyefininty does. Would this be 2D surround or 3D surround? I am fairly experienced in hardware, but for some reason i cannot grasp Nvidia's terminology. Thanks.

Solution
Nvidia 2D surround is the normal 3 monitor setup with normal flat gaming.

Nvidia 3D vision surround is with 3D Vision glasses for a 3D effect on 3 monitors. The type of gaming that makes things look real with actual depth using binocular vision.

Don't confuse bad movie theater gaming with 3D Vision. While there are a few good 3D movies (Avatar), most are bad. 3D Vision, if the game supports it, is very good (a lot of games don't support it).

You may also find a LOT of people mistype 3D surround when they mean 2D surround.
Nvidia 2D surround is the normal 3 monitor setup with normal flat gaming.

Nvidia 3D vision surround is with 3D Vision glasses for a 3D effect on 3 monitors. The type of gaming that makes things look real with actual depth using binocular vision.

Don't confuse bad movie theater gaming with 3D Vision. While there are a few good 3D movies (Avatar), most are bad. 3D Vision, if the game supports it, is very good (a lot of games don't support it).

You may also find a LOT of people mistype 3D surround when they mean 2D surround.

Solution

Alex2051

Honorable
Dec 16, 2013

Just to confirm, 2D surround is what i need right? And then I can connect it through HDMI, correct?