Build: MMORPG PC to run on a TV?

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Hello everyone!

This is my first post on here, and I tried to read some of the stickies so I hope I got this right! As the title said I'm looking to build a new custom computer that will run on a good sized TV, one that will be running at 1080p or 'i'. I sold my computer a while back because I realized I never use it for anything but MMO's (and no good MMO's had come out for like 2 years!). All my gaming will be coming out of the Xbox One besides these game types. So I want to build a new rig that will run MMO's well on my TV that I'll be playing the Xbox on for when things like ESO, EQ: Next, Wildstar, etc. etc.

Approximate Purchase Date: Most likely during the summer time, after some of these MMO's have come out.

Budget Range: $1,000-$2,000 should get it done right? I'm not opposed to higher or lower priced builds, as long as it gets the job done well!

System Usage from Most to Least Important: MMO gaming on my TV, then be able to play stuff like Netflix, Hulu and all that easy stuff when the wifey wants to use it too.

Are you buying a monitor: Strictly on a good sized TV (I believe it'll be 40"-45"+)

Parts to Upgrade: Erry'thang!

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: No preferred site necessarily. I've only used newegg.com before because it's all I know, but I'm sure you all know these places better than me. Wherever the best deals come from I suppose!

Location: I currently go to school and have a few different available locations. West Lafayette, IN, Cincinatti, OH, Lexington, KY, and I possibly could be in Dallas, TX over the summer.

Parts Preferences: I prefer Intel processors and nVidia cards. Other than that, it's pretty open. I'd really love the case to be very form factor, like a cube or rectangle, something medium/small so that it can sit next to the Xbox One and not look like a gigantic behemoth of a rig.

Overclocking: If it's necessary, heck yes. I'm all for getting the most out of a system.

SLI or Crossfire: SLI if necessary. However, I've had some bad experiences with SLI (cards dying, screen tearing and such). I've usually had much more success with a single card, but for TV usage I can completely understand if I need two, or three, or more!

Your Monitor Resolution: It will be on a TV running at 1080p or 'i', forgive me but I don't know what resolution that typically is.

Additional Comments: Again I'd like the rig to be pretty form factor, I'm open to which way it will be form factor, but should meet this requirement somehow. Hopefully the quieter the better in all the ways I can get it because it will be in the living rooms or bedrooms alongside the Xbox One. It's a system strictly for running MMO's on the best settings. I won't be getting any big, fancy FPS games or anything else. The only thing I use a PC for are MMO's and would like to get a system to play them on the TV alongside the Xbox. Games I'm expecting to get in the future are EQ: Next, Wildstar, ESO, and others that will be coming out (so you can check spec requirements).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: To get a system to play MMORPG's on my TV where I do most of my gaming on an Xbox. I don't want to get a separate desk and monitor and setup just for an MMORPG gaming PC, I'd much prefer to have them all in one so that way the computer can be also used for the wifey to watch TV, movies, browse internet, or whatever she wants to do as well.

Thank you so much to anyone/everyone who answers and helps out. I look forward to seeing what people can come up with and to further educating myself on how to get this done. I'm pretty tech savvy so don't worry about me not following anyone. I'm just unsure of how to approach a TV situation so I can't wait for the help and guidance.

Thanks again!

- tgoodspe

lp231

Splendid
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87I-DELUXE Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($68.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case ($55.91 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($77.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - OEM (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1210.78
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-21 00:58 EST-0500)

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

So it seems like you built a fairly standard PC, are parts and such strong enough to run on TV these days no problem? I'm not sure what I was expecting, maybe I thought I'd need an extreme GPU or something high end to make sure it wouldn't lag on such a large screen. But can a normal to high end PC run just fine on a TV? What do I need to pay particular attention to when building?

lp231

Splendid
Most build are standard since they use standard parts, unless you go with OEM, then they will have proprietary parts.
The build I've configured is consider as high-end in a mini package because you mentioned, that you want to put it next to your XBox One and the best type of build to do just that would be ITX.
Unless that system is placed on the floor and next to your HDTV cabinet, then we can go with a MicroATX.
Physical screen size does not determine what type of video card you need, it's the resolution that does.
Also you're building in the summer and by that time there might be newer parts.

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with ITX and MicroATX. What are these exactly? And so if it will be on the floor then ITX is best? It will most likely be placed on the table or in a cabinet space or something like the Xbox. It won't be sitting on the floor unless it's on wood (no carpet and such). So what would a MicroATX build look like??

lp231

Splendid
ITX and MicroATX are different motherboard sizes that follows a specific standard.
ITX measures at 6.7" x 6.7" only has 1 expansion slot
MicroATX measures at 9.6" x 9.6" has up to 3 or 4 expansion slots

Starting for left to right, ITX, MicroATX, ATX
wgtci8.jpg

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Thank you, those are some pretty sweet cases!

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Okay I see now. What are the performance benefits of each? Would it be better to do with a Micro-ATX to get two graphics cards (to run better on a TV) or in a Mini-ITX sufficient? I'm okay at telling what processors or GPU's are better than others, but I know nothing about motherboards, memory, or proper case size for cooling, etc.

camohanna

Distinguished

Mini itx is exactly the same as the others, except for having only 1 expansion slot. In reality, most people only use 1 expansion slot and its always better to have 1 more power graphics card over two weaker graphics cards and with multiple cards you experience microstutering. For motherboard, what you want to look for is good reviews from overclocking on the motherboard ( asus, gigabyte motheboards usually overclock well) For a bitfenix prodigy, stock fans will be fine but i know you can upgrade to a 200/230mm fan for the intake which will be worthwhile if you overclock.

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

So you think just getting 1 powerhouse graphics card is the best bet?

lp231

Splendid
The initial build I've configured has a BitFenix Prodigy case, but since you mentioned you would like to place it next to the XBox One, then I would assume it's either in a cabinet or on the table top but without that much space. Thus the reason I've changed to that Cooler Master.
BitFenix Prodigy is a nice case, I have one myself, but it's huge. Best place to put that case would be on the floor, unless you have a very large table to place it on.
There is another Prodigy case, called the BitFenix Prodigy M, same as the Prodigy, but can fit both ITX and MicroATX boards.

camohanna

Distinguished

Pretty much unless you are running 3x moniters @ 1080p you only need 1 gpu. Since you only need it for mmo's, the 760 will handle it on your tv with ease.

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Ahh, I see. Well I'm most likely going to set it in a cabinet or on the floor right beside the TV stand. I just wanted it more form factor than not so it doesn't look out of place. The smaller the better, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a shoebox, I just didn't want it to be like an Alienware behemoth!

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Okay, awesome. I didn't know whether or not the GPU would be that powerful. I guess I assumed that being stretched on a TV would make normal GPU's lag like crazy (because it seemed like that when I only had a 30" monitor way back when). But if that's not the case then that's great news!

lp231

Splendid
30" monitor, if it's those high-end types, then it would be 2560x1600 not 1920x1080.
If it's in side a cabinet, then the size of the case really matter because you need one that fits, but this also limits the types of cases you can have.
On the floor, then there is a lot more to choose from. That BitFenix will have to be on the floor.

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Ahh I see, yeah I had no idea that TV's were so big but still had such manageable resolutions. I guess I assumed since a 30" monitor was that resolution, a TV's would be ridiculous... (shows how little I knew!).

As for the case, it will most likely be sitting on the floor next to the TV stand. I was thinking of maybe changing my "form factor" need to actually a case that looks sleek, but can be taller. Like maybe tall but slim so it looks really classy standing next to the TV stand, but the larger case could allow better airflow, what would you recommend for that?

Thanks!

lp231

Splendid
Most good cases have good air flow, so it doesn't matter if it's a large case or small case. The problem with larger cases is, it's more difficult to take especially when you're traveling.

Here are some tall cases
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352029&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139024
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139019&Tpk=corsair%20900d
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139019&Tpk=corsair%20900d
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146114

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

I love those Corsair cases; pretty much the sleekness I'm looking for. What do you think of the 350D? Basically the same look except somewhat form factor by being 4"+ shorter in height and length.

lp231

Splendid
I like the Corsair 350D too, but its physical dimension isn't that small. For that, might as well grab a Corsair 300R and this can support MicroATX, ATX board, and it cost less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139020

Corsair Carbide 300R vs Corsair Obsidian 350D
300R: Length = 19.1" / Width = 8.3" / Height = 17.7"
350D: Length = 17.7" / Width = 8.3" / Height = 17.3"

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Yeah, that's a nice case as well. I'll just have to see whatever I can pick up for the best deal. Thank you for your help as well, I didn't even know that website that you used existed, that will help so much!

I noticed above that you used an i5 processor, any reason why you didn't go with one of the newer i7's? I know they are more pricey. But I configured a rig with an i7 and bigger GPU for only a couple hundred more. What are the performance differences? Would I not need a big i7 if it is just for MMORPG's and not FPS's and such?

lp231

Splendid
Current games don't use more than 4 cores, so grabbing a i7 would be a waste. The only good thing for i7 is if your doing video, image rendering or editing where the 4 extra threads on the i7 helps with the performance.
If you want a Core i7, it's your choice to get one since the build is way under the budget of $2,000

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Really?? I had no idea about this... so i7's will obviously perform better on benchmark testing, but it terms of game performance (especially since I'm playing MMORPG's and not Crysis or something) the i5 will perform basically the same as an i7 since they are both utilizing the same number of cores?

tgoodspe

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Hmm, interesting. So it's much better to go with a top of the line i5 and then in the future, if it's needed, upgrade to an i7 or something when it's vastly reduced in price? I noticed the i7 is only $100 more than the i5, so it's not that big of an upgrade either. However, that can also be turned the other way because it's not that much of a necessary upgrade either by your explanation.