HolyGear

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Processor: AMD FX-6350
Motherboard: Ga-78LMT-USB3
Power supply: AF-B700
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 650 Ti BOOST
Monitor: Gate way LED 21.5" 1920X1080 5ms

I have this desk that (Use to be magnetic, about 2 year ago i use to have it on carpet next to these next to these speaker that are obviously magnetic thats probably why it got magnetic...) I saw this because I put this CRT monitor I had on the desk and when I turned it on it obviously discolored the screen when it was put on it)....and now I'm back on it (Its a nice desk I just love it too much...)
I tested it but seems to be fine now....so even if it is slightly magnetic its probably very weak. (Tested it with the same CRT monitor)

I read online, there seems to be some PC parts that are affected bu magnetism (like hard drives)
and others (like this here website http://cobolhacker.com/2006/10/28/is-it-possible-to-erase-a-hard-drive-with-magnets/) say that magnets can NOT harm them...(The test is old)

Questions:

-What are your guys' opinion about whether or not hard drives get damaged by magnets

-Are their other vulnerable parts to magnetism?

-Any ideas to check the level of magnetism on an object? (Other than putting an old CRT monitor next to it, lol)

All electronics are vulnerable to strong quickly changing magnetic fields as they induce currents in the parts. Hard drives are the more sensitive computer component because they store the data magnetically so if you have a strong rapidly changing field it can cause problems for them, if you had your hard drive sitting immediately on top of the subwoofer you might have an issue, but inside a computer case the case will provide some shielding and it will be far enough away that it shouldn't be an issue.

The CRT showed discoloration because CRTs use electromagnets to steer a particle beam to light up the pixels and if you put a magnet near it you will bias the beam towards or away from that side which causes the discoloration. Older CRTs show distortions for even low levels of static magnetic fields which aren't an issue for most computer components.

Master-flaw

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
Short answer no....
They used to...and I've actually seen a magnet ruin a floppy drive computer back in elementary school. but components now are not effected by magnets.

normal harddrives with moving parts most likely will get effected by magnetic fields but it depends on the strenght

if your paranoid about it get some rubber feet for the bottom of your case this will cancel the magnetism