What is a good wireless adapter?

John Acer

Honorable
Dec 13, 2013
I finished my computer build a few days ago and my computer is about 40-45 feet away from the modem and router. I don't really want to run a super long cable across the house. I currently have an Asus PCE-N53 adapter 300Mbps 2.4GHz/5GHz. The connection is a lot weaker than the connection on my laptop. Is there any reason why that it's weaker? And are there any other wireless adapter cards that you guys would suggest, links would be SUPER helpful!

RealBeast

Titan
45 feet for wireless is a very long distance unless it is a direct line of sight connection (i.e. no walls) and nobody else in your house of the neighborhood uses wireless. No other adapter will do any better.

A better solution would be to put a wireless AP in your room, and since you cannot run a cable, use powerline adapters. If all you do is surf the Internet and check Facebook any will do, but if you want to stream video and game with low latency look at the fastest set out there: Zyxel PLA5205kit. You can then plug one in next to the router and the other in your room connected to the AP (or directly to your computer Ethernet port if you want to save some $$).