Only displaying 2 monitors with eyefinity?

abaker1984

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013
Hey guys, pretty stumped here after doing a dozen or so different configs and watching tutorials.

I'm trying to setup eyefinity on my 6950.

I have 3 monitors, of which only the center and right one are displaying anything with eyefinity.

In order from left to right this is what I have:

1. (This is the inactive display) I have a vga cord plugged into the monitor that connects to a vga to dvi adapter that plugs into an mini active display port adapter.

2. Center hdmi to dvi cable plugged into dvi on the card

3. Vga to vga cable that plugs into a dvi adapter that plugs into the card.

Is there some issue with the mini active adapter being chained like this? It's all I can think of. I was trying to connect to the mini active port because I have a hdmi out of my card into my tv to stream stuff across to the tv and exchange the display over there.

Or is my hardware fine and something wrong in config? The vision control center does detect all three monitors and I can setup everything as normal but it simply will not output anything onto the left monitor. If I set it to triple monitor the center and right displays are keeping with what would be the 5760 x 1080 display but still a black screen on the left.

Appreciate any help, thanks!

VGA to DVI adapters only work on DVI-I ports which have both an analog and digital signal. you are using a display port to DVI-D (digital) connector. you cannot adapt a digital signal to VGA (analog). they are incompatible and the way you're trying to do it there's not even a wiring connection for the signal.

you need to use an active display port to VGA connector.

abaker1984

Honorable
Dec 21, 2013

With the setup im using I only have acess to mini display port as the option for the 3rd as the card only has 2 dvi 2 mini display port and 1 hdmi. The monitor does have hdmi. Would running the hdmi to dvi cable to the dvi to s mini adapter work then using the vga/vga cable on monitor 2 to vga/dvi adapter into dvi of card work?

I believe with all the cabling and adapters here i should have some route?

This is my card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127555 and this is the mini display adapter i have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815158234

Thanks for your input.

Superlag

Reputable
Jun 13, 2014

Video cards have chips called Digital to Analog converters or DACs. These are required to create the analog signal required for output to monitors. VGA, DVI, and HDMI all require these chips because they depend on the DAC to output the analog signal. DisplayPorts do not require a DAC because they pass along all signal information through the connection to the monitor's DisplayPort because it is a 100% digital connection. Your problem is due to the fact that you have two monitors attached to ports (HDMI-to-HDMI, and VGA-to-DVI) that require the use of DACs. Your video card only has two DACs and those are being used by these two ports. Your third monitor, VGA-to-DVI-to-DisplayPort, also requires a DAC - even though the port on the card is a DisplayPort. This is because you have it plugged into a monitor port that is a VGA and the DisplayPort needs access to a DAC to be backwards compatible. Because you have what's called a passive adapter (basically a simple cable) you dont have enough DACs for all the analog signals your video card must output. To remedy this you need to have an active adapter which is an adapter that contains a DAC in it to allow the DisplayPort to generate the signal to the analog input on the monitor (VGA). AMD is aware of this need, because most video cards only have 2 DACs onboard, so they have put together a page of recommended active adapters here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommended/eyefinity-adapters. Buy one of these, plug it into your DisplayPort and you should be good to go man. I got the Startech one because I like the quality of their products, but any ACTIVE adapter will do the job.