Custom Built Computer No Monitor Display

G

Hello, my custom built computer doesn't show a picture on my monitor. The monitors LED light just blinks. I have triple checked my cords and still nothing. I think it might be the graphics card but I am not sure.

Specs:
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 650W ATX12V/EPS12V
GPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P AM3+/AM3 AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD
Monitor: SAMSUNG C150 Series S22C150N Glossy Black 21.5" 5ms
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"

G

Sorry yeah. My GPU is connected by a VGA cable. My GPU is the HIS iCooler H775F1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16.

G

The GPU came with an adapter for the DVI connection, so I plugged that into the socket on the GPU and then the VGA cable to the monitor from the adapter.

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

So are you using a DVI to VGA adapter or VGA to Display Port Adapter?

If you using a DVI to VGA adapter you need to check if the port on your card is digital/analog or just digital only.

If it is like the DVID type you won't be able to get any display whatsoever and you're out of luck.

Here's how the connections look like

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Some monitors also don't support conversion signals so you might wanna see your monitor's documents, if you find that the GPU port is okay.

G

Also, I changed the VGA cable between my other computer and still nothing. I also had my working computer plug into the custom computers monitor and it worked but the custom comp did not turn on the working computers monitor. So I think it is within my custom computer but I am still unsure what is the problem. Also I looked up my monitor and the blinking light means it is stuck in sleep mode, and the website tells me to update my graphics card, but I do not know how to do this or if that is even the problem. Also, when I go to the menu on my monitor, it just says "test good" in the top left hand corner.

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Since your custom computer did not turn on the working computers monitor, it is not a monitor problem for sure.

Maybe you haven't inserted your graphic card properly?

Do you have another PCI-E slot. If you do , you could try inserting your card into that slot, and then trying again.

I still think it's because the signal is not being communicated properly by the GPU to the monitor.

This may be because the GPU is not properly hooked in or PCI-E port is not being read properly.

G

So I had first plugged it into a PCIEX16 hook up and that didn't work. And then when you told me to change where it hooked up to, I put it into a PCIEX4 hook up and it still didn't work. The fan still went and everything, but no display.

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

PCI-E X16 is the right place. X4 is no go anyways.

Does your other working computer work on a different monitor ? If it does, can you try hooking your GPU to that monitor and see if there is any picture?

G

Oh I misunderstood you. I do not have another monitor except for my working computers one and the custom computer isn't working on the working computers monitor.

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

Gotcha.
So how do you connect your working computer to the monitor ? Same DVI to VGA adapter?

G

Yes, I connect the working computer to the custom computers monitor and the working computers monitor by just a VGA as it already has a VGA socket and doesn't require an adapter.

Bassim Ansari

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

I think you should check your documentation then.

Maybe your monitor doesn't support DVI To VGA signals. I've known some monitors who are like that.